Itchyworms' "Misis Fely Nimfa ang Pangalan" (Mrs. Fely Nimfa Is Her Name)

Been reading through the topics here in the Philippines discussion and the topics are downright serious. Not that there is anything wrong about it but I just figured it's time to post something different but enjoyable. To start it off, here's a background of the band. Formed in 1996, the band had been composed of Jazz Nicolas, Jugs Jugueta, Kelvin Yu (on lead guitar) and Hadrian "Haji" Cruz (on bass). The quartet performed at various school-based events and competitions with a handful of original songs and Beatles covers. Unfortunately, communication and scheduling issues forced Cruz to leave the group. This predicament forced Yu to take up the bass guitar vacancy, effectively making the band a trio. The group continued as a trio until the middle of 1997, when a common friend in the Ateneo Musicians' Pool recruited Chino Singson to play guitar with the group at a school event. Singson eventually went on to become a permanent member, which solidified the group's current lineup. In 1998 the band put together Revenge of the Unsigned, their first official CD. They did this with the help of their manager Earnest Mangulabnan-Zabala, Eraserheads, Ely Buendia, Buddy Zabala and Romel "Sancho" Sanchez (Loquy, Cynthia Alexander). The band intended for Revenge to be their independently-released debut album in the event that no major record label would sign them. As luck would have it, then-A&R manager at Viva/Neo Records Mike Dizon (Teeth, Sandwich (band)) got hold of Revenge. He helped push for Viva executives to sign the band and eventually release Little Monsters Under Your Bed. Little Monsters, the band's first major-label album, was released in 2001 and contained songs from Revenge plus new compositions by Nicolas and Jugueta. The song "Antipara" was probably the most well-known song on the album. The release of the album was somewhat ill-timed as its glossy pop-rock sound was an aberration in the Korn-influenced OPM Rock landscape of the late 1990s to early 2000s. Breakthrough Success In 2005, the Itchyworms released Noontime Show, which gave them modest national success and industry recognition. Buddy Zabala and Raimund Marasigan, by this time both former Eraserheads, co-produced the album with the group. Most notably, the album went on to become Album of the Year at the 2006 NU Rock Awards, with Nicolas winning Drummer of the Year and the group winning Producer of the Year jointly with Marasigan and Zabala. In late 2008, they released their new album entitled "Self-Titled". The popularity and radio-friendliness of the band's songs have gained the attention of several well-known commercial brands in the Philippines. The song "Akin Ka Na Lang" has been used by both KFC and Close-Up in separate television advertisements. In 2008, Pringles used "Salapi" for a nationwide campaign/songwriting contest. In addition Enervon, Close-Up and San Miguel Beer have also commissioned the band to write original songs for their advertising campaigns. The band also wrote and performed "Kabataang Pinoy", the theme song for the first season of ABS-CBN's Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Edition. This is arguably the band's most widely-publicized song because of the series' popularity and media exposure. They also made a song for Motorola Philippines' Hello Moto campaign. Although the individual members of the band draw on distinct influences, their common affection for The Beatles and The Eraserheads heavily defines the quartet's musical ethos. Now, the band has a new single out titled "Misis Fely Nimfa ang Pangalan", the video and the song is great and totally funny. I've always like the band but this is the song that made me LIKE Itchyworms even more. Here is the link of the video off Youtube,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AnozmWwyW4. Listen to the song's lyrics and the last names that they have incorporated in the song, my question is, is your last name included in this wonderful ear candy? Mine is but I'm not telling what my last name is... enjoy!!! Cheers!!!!!
@ybong007 (6660)
I'm amazed on the very detailed information you provided on the band rather than on the song since I can't very well hear the lyrics in my PC. But the video is entertaining and funny, it really amazes me how those guys can come up a totally new concept and a catchy one too with each video in all their songs. Very talented. Cheers!
hi ybong. i will admit that the information about the band here in this discussion was lifted from wikipedia. like i mentioned in my post above, i'm not a big fan of the band but i do like some of their songs. i particularly like this song, 'misis fely nimfa...' because of the humor and wit of the song and video. if i can come across the lyrics of the song, i'll definitely post it here as well. by the way, next tiem you hear the song and get a chance to listen to the last names mentioned, tell us if your last name is included in the song. that's the whole albeit silly and fun point of this discussion. cheers!!!
@ybong007 (6660)
I tried very hard to listen to the lyrics but my last name is not included. Cheers!
i was online for a good two hours yesterday and all that time, i was listening to thsi song. go figure??!!! if that wouldn't get you to memorize most of the last names mentioned in the song, i don't know what will. hahahaha!!! lol!!!
@danitykane (3196)
hi there! I saw "Itchyworms" when they still promoting "antipara" at my school when I was still in college. They are the front act of "River Maya" that time. They are really amazing, what can I say it's "pure talent". I love the way they interpret songs, they are not the typical serious band. They are so funny and very entertaining. I like their new song...it's funny and the rhythm is really nice!
itchyworms is indeed a talented band. the music and the lyrics that they have is pure aural genius. hard to believe that this band is not as popular as other local bands that are wanting in talent and in skill. thanks for joining the discussion. cheers!!!
oh yes they are.. and I love that band so much! i think they are on the best in Philippine music.