Help me, I baked a carrot cake and noticed the mix is 2 yrs old!!!

United States
November 30, 2009 8:22pm CST
Oh my god!!! Can anyone tell me if I will die from eating a 2 year old carrot cake mix??? I noticed after the fact that I baked it that it was expired!! Help!!!!!
1 response
@jerzgirl (8027)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
1 Dec 09
Odds are you'll have no problems. If there were no weevils crawling in the mix and the cake rose the way it was supposed to and it didn't smell rancid, there's not a likely chance of danger in eating it. Expiration dates are recommendations - the mix does not automatically self-destruct on those dates. Some go bad before, others after. The only concern I have found online is that some mold spores can develop in the mixes and those with allergies to mold CAN die if they go into anaphylactic shock. However, the Snopes article I read says that if the package has never been opened, then the mix has not been exposed to mold spores - this primarily takes place in pancake mixes, etc., where they sit opened for a period of time before being completely used up. The link I just read on Snopes is: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp . I hope this eases your mind a bit.
• United States
3 Dec 09
OMG, thank you, I was soooo worried for food poisoning......