property dispute

United States
November 15, 2006 11:59am CST
I in the process of a law suit with my neighbor about a property dispute. My neighbors uncle built his house and my house at the same time. I had our land surveyed and realized they are on our property 3 ft front to back. I went to the municipal building to look at the original plans that were summited for approval before they built the houses. It looks like the original plot plan was going to be the same exact houses with equal lots. But when they were building my neighbor decided to change things and make his driveway bigger and move his fence which now is on my property. We are paying and have been paying taxes for 10 years on what we thought we had. We did not buy our house until the house was completed. He's uncle decided to sell it a year later. My question is, he will not get off and has been given a citation by the township but ignored it. How can we make this process move a little faster? And also wouldn't the builder, title company, and township be liable also for this mess? Can someone help?
2 responses
• United States
15 Nov 06
It depends on where you live. Each city/state has it's own rules and regulations regarding these issues. But if I'm not mistaken, I believe you can take them to 'small claims court'. A surveying company and the city planning department may be able to point you in the right direction. I would be interested in finding out the outcome to your delimma. Keep us posted and good luck!
@tibido (4080)
• Italy
15 Nov 06
too long post :-D