Is chlorinated water is safe to drink?

@kd_fmay (555)
Philippines
February 20, 2010 2:36am CST
Hello! Many says YES, a chlorinated water is safe to drink, although some people object to the taste. We know that chlorine is added to drinking water to kill pathogens. While chlorine does provide this protection, it also can combine with naturally occurring nontoxic chemicals to form compounds that may cause cancer. The results are called reaction products. So do you think its still safe to drink? What's your opinion on this?
6 responses
@diamania (7038)
• Netherlands
20 Feb 10
Depends on the dose if it's limited then it is perfectly safe to drink. The taste might be awful to some but anything better than getting sicker than sick. Here in Amsterdam we have water with an even lower amount of chlorine than the rest of Holland thanks to a special procedure and the water tastes so much better than chlorinated water.
@diamania (7038)
• Netherlands
25 Feb 10
From what I know they use dunes to filter out all kinds of substances instead of adding chlorine to the water. In other part of my country they follow the old procedure involving chlorine. As you said you can taste this and chlorine is not quite healthy when consumed in a higher degree.
@puppynut (370)
• New Zealand
24 Feb 10
What procedure do they use? I would like to know jus how much chlorine is in our water because you sure can taste it!!
@kd_fmay (555)
• Philippines
21 Feb 10
I agree. Thanks for sharing!
@p3ks626 (6551)
• Philippines
20 Feb 10
I think there should be a right amount of chlorine put into a certain amount of water so that it wont be harmful. Chlorine actually does not stay in the water because it is a gas so it evaporates. The smell of chlorine in the water sometimes make us think it is not safe to drink it. I myself am hesitant to drink water with chlorine in it but I think its safe.
@puppynut (370)
• New Zealand
24 Feb 10
remember water is also part gas, with an oxygen particle. Does this not bond with chlorine?
@kd_fmay (555)
• Philippines
21 Feb 10
Yeah, chlorine is a gas. Thanks for sharing!
@julia28 (141)
• India
9 Mar 10
No,it is very unsafe to dring chlorinated water ,i think electric filtered water is the best alternative.Numerous scientific studies report that choline is a skin irritant and destroys polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E in the body .It destroys intestinal bacteria from the body that helps in digestion of food.Chlorinated water is linked to increased cases of cancer and miscarriages. Effects of chlorine can be minimised by using filtaration devises and prevent its side effects to some extents.
@kd_fmay (555)
• Philippines
10 Aug 10
Hello julia28, thanks for the additional info... ^_^
• New Zealand
21 Feb 10
It should be safe as the concentration of chlorine in the water isn't high enough for it to be deadly. 0.02ppm (parts per million). LOL , nothing :) As for the compounds that cause cancer: just boil ur water and let it cool or filter it. That should get rid of all the crap. I already do this :) Drinking tap water un filtered or boiled tastes disgusting.
@kd_fmay (555)
• Philippines
21 Feb 10
You are right... except the ppm... haha I don't know how to compute it. Thanks for sharing!
• Philippines
20 Feb 10
actually the water that we drink is already chlorinated coz chlorine helps to clean the water from bacteria, though theres a certain process for that or must undergo chemical process and most have a limited amount only. if you can also see, all swimming pools uses chlorine to clean the water but they only put a limited amount. chlorine can also be toxic and can kill people if you take it directly nor with drinks or other food coz theres a certain amount for that and if we dont know then leave it to the expert.
@kd_fmay (555)
• Philippines
21 Feb 10
Yeah, I got your point. Thanks for sharing!
@se7enthbird (8331)
• Philippines
20 Feb 10
yes it is not safe but if you live in the city there is nothing much that you can do. water is treated with chlorine so that it is clean. but if you have sensitive skin this water can cause you skin allergies. it is better to boil water before drinking it.... or if you cant do the boiling then buy water by the gallons. that is safer.
@kd_fmay (555)
• Philippines
21 Feb 10
Yes, That's what we do. Thanks for sharing!