Cody - Vet visit

@lelin1123 (15643)
Puerto Rico
April 12, 2010 5:33pm CST
Well Cody went for his rabies shot and the doctor found this swelling under his mouth which I thought was just fat. However she said it was a salivary mucocele, which is saliva that leaks from a damage gland or duct. It doesn't hurt the dog and there is no danger to the dog. There is an operation the doctor said but it doesn't mean it won't return. Now cody will be twelve years old in June. I don't think I want to put him through an operation. Now I ask all mylot dog owners have you ever experienced this, if so, what did you do and what was the outcome. Thanks!
3 people like this
4 responses
@EvrWonder (3577)
• Canada
3 May 10
Hi lelin, thank you for this discussion. Due to your dogs age and the condition itself, I think that you are doing the right things. I would take the wait and see approach too. Even with my Roxy who is going to be three tomorrow, I am not into having her operated on if it can be avoided. Since she is little, the anthesetic is something tht I don't want her to have to under go anytime again soon. When she was spayed she was under. Anyway, I noticed a bump under my dogs mouth too. I waited for a bit until we were snuggling and I was petting her to feel it again. It feels to me that it is where a wisker is growning out. I haven't taken a big look under her chin, yet but will be. She is due to go for her nails and glands in a week or two at which time I will check again before I go. If it appears bigger or something that I feel that I need to be concerned about, I may get the vet to take a look. I hope for the meanwhile that your dog is in no pain and able to get on without any problems. I hope that it doesn't get any larger. I am curious as no doubt you are too, how the gland got damaged in the first place. I have done some poking around. We would want to be careful that it doesn't become infected. Here are some articles I have been reading concerning this condition Salivary Mucocele http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23119.htm That link talks about managing the condition if surgery isn't an option. Interesting read! I just searched salivary mucocele.
@lelin1123 (15643)
• Puerto Rico
3 May 10
Thank you for the link I will check it out. I hope your Roxy will be ok at the next visit to the vet.
@EvrWonder (3577)
• Canada
4 May 10
Thank you lelin. I am sure she will be. I check her whole body out regularly, since she walks in the forest a lot. Wouldn't want a tick either. I hope that the link proves insightful.
1 person likes this
@cyrus123 (6383)
• United States
13 Apr 10
I've never experienced anything like this with any dog I've ever had. From the way your vet talks, it doesn't sound like it's anything serious. I know you don't want to do this but it might be a good idea to have it taken care of if it should turn out to be serious, though. I hope everything works out okay with Cody. Kathy.
1 person likes this
@lelin1123 (15643)
• Puerto Rico
13 Apr 10
Thanks but since the doctor said its not life threatening I will let it be unless it gets bigger or starts to hurt him. I can touch it and move it around and I get no reaction from him so I know it doesn't hurt him. Thanks for your opinion.
1 person likes this
@cyrus123 (6383)
• United States
13 Apr 10
This might be a better idea. I got to thinking the same thing after I responded. It seems like these doctors, dentists, and vets really like that money! Kathy.
1 person likes this
• United States
13 Apr 10
This sounds like it is nonthreatning and isn't hurting your dog any so I think I would just keep an eye on it and do nothing. Especially for the age of your dog. I don't have dogs, but I have cats, and rabbits!! Best of luck to you.
1 person likes this
@lelin1123 (15643)
• Puerto Rico
13 Apr 10
Yes I have talked to family and friends and since its not life threatening I will let it be. Unless it gets alot bigger. If he was alot younger I would definitely get it taken care of. Thanks for your input.
• United States
13 Apr 10
You are welcome. Good luck!!!
1 person likes this
@gabs8513 (48715)
• United Kingdom
13 Apr 10
Hi Lelin I have not had this before no, but my previous Dog Max a Labrador had Cancer in the Mouth he was 13 years old and the Vet said he will not survive the Operation as he was to old and also there was no Guarantee it would work, so well, Max passed away in my Arms What you need to do is find out from the Vet if there is any danger of it turning it more or if Cody will be fine to live with it I mean Cody is nearly 12 years old they have to consider this If the Vet is saying though that he is in no Pain or anything, then I would leave it and not put him through that Poor little Cody, give him a hug from me
1 person likes this
@lelin1123 (15643)
• Puerto Rico
13 Apr 10
Thank you so much for your concern. The Vet has already said he is not in any type of danger so I'm going to leave it alone unless it starts to give him problems. Thank you so much for your input.