Have you ever made an unpopular decision but it was the right decision?

@jonnifc (1021)
I got this in an email. I think this was from Leo Velski Julian. "A group of children were playing near two railway tracks, one still in use while the other unused. Only one child played on the unused track, the others played on the used tracks. If you were driving the train, which group of children will you save or sacrifice?" Most would probably think to sacrifice the 1 child. But didn't he make the right choice to begin with? Why should he be the one to die? Some would argue that it's for the greater good. So should we sacrifice the few smart people to save the many stupid people? I think I would not divert the train to the unused tracks. I'll just keep sounding the sirens so that they will have time to run away from the tracks. They shouldn't have been playing there in the first place. If some kids fail to run away in time, then that's a tragedy. It's the consequence of their actions. This is applicable even in life. Most especially in politics. What do you think? Do you agree that what's right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right?
No responses