Is it possible to be allergic to fires, or at least wood?

Canada
October 20, 2010 7:18pm CST
The reason why I wonder about this is because every time I start a fire in the fireplace, I get horribly itchy. This only happens at home, when I'm working I'm fine, but when I come home, I start to get itchy. I'm wondering if the ashes left over in the fireplace have some sort of after affect after the fire has gone out. Any ideas at all?
1 person likes this
2 responses
@GardenGerty (92203)
• Marion, Kansas
22 Oct 10
From what I am reading, this is only associated with the fires at your house. I wonder if the fireplace had been cleaned with some kind of chemical you are allergic to. My second thought is to check the source of your wood. Is it possible that the wood was treated with something that then becomes airborne and irritates you.
• Canada
24 Oct 10
I don't think the fireplace has been cleaned recently, this just started a short time ago. I don't use any treated wood, lately I've been using an old hydro pole and some unseasoned wood, I haven't been able to find seasoned wood. I guess it's possible that the unseasoned wood could be doing it, however, it happens even with the hydro pole, which there's none left.
1 person likes this
@GardenGerty (92203)
• Marion, Kansas
26 Oct 10
Power poles are treated. It used to be with creosote. I do not know if that lingers in the chimney or not.
@uath13 (8227)
• United States
21 Oct 10
It's possible to be allergic to the wood, smoke or ashes or even all of the above. You'd have to be tested to find out exactly what your allergic to by a specialist.