Oklahoma four-year-old fatally stabbed 36 times

A four-year-old was stabbed thirty-six times with a pair of scissors while his pregnant mother struggled with her son's attacker. Meanwhile, his six-year-old brother sleeps soundly in the same room. Am I the only one who thinks there is something fishy here? I mean, I have two-year-old son, and if someone comes into out house to kill him, the police are either going to find that person dead at the scene or me, my husband, and/or the attacker dead. No one is going to sleep through it. Plus, this home invader is so stealthy, that a child in the same room isn't awakened, but his mother, probably sleeping in another room, is? Maybe I'm just stupid, but this doesn't make sense to me. More opinions, please.
I know if I were being killed in the same room as my mother she would never wake up. So,this child sleeping could very well be true. I would need to see the sotry to better realte to this.