Hair falls out in clumps

Hello fellow mylotters. I have a friend who went through a terrible time some years ago. The stress was so bad that she developed some chronic and painful conditions in her body, as well as hair loss. Her hair used to be beautiful and thick. She had a lot of hair, but since that terrible time in her life, she keeps losing it. It will grow back but fall out again. She went to the doctor and they couldn't help her. She did try a hair specialist and they did manage to get her hair growing again (this was at the beginning of her hair loss and the poor dear was bald except for her crown). The treatments could only cause the hair to grow back, but not stop it from falling out. She had bloodwork done and nothing was wrong. The doctors do not know how to make it not fall out. The treatment center she went to even told her they have never seen anything like it before, as her hair falls out then regrows and falls out again. Now her hair is falling out in clumps again after almost 8 months of normal hair loss. I wonder if anyone has experienced this, and if so did you ever manage to stop your hair from falling out? Thank you for your response!
This happened to me after having gastric bypass as well as many others. The thing that helps it stop falling out is a multi vitamin. I am still basically bald but it is growing back in slowly. if I wash my hair it will be falling out all over the place. So bad as it may be I take my pills and wash my hair once a month.
I am sorry that is happening to you, and I hope it grows back. She did begin taking vitamins and eating healthier meals, but noticed her potassium level was low. One night in bed she said her thigh muscles began moving about on their own, and she knew it was low potassium even though she had been eating many veggies for a week or so and taking a multi vitamin specifically for hair and skin. The next morning she brushed her hair and had much of it on her comb. She's taking extra potassium supplements along with the vitamins now, and adding a little salt to her diet. Maybe that will help eventually.
I went on obesity help.com where people are having the same problem. I was told to take prenatal vistamins and it would help my hair to grow faster and stop falling out.