Stephen King's Skeleton Crew

Okay! I'm a huge fan of Mr. King, and I just finished his collection of short stories called Skeleton Crew. For me, I either love or hate his stories, there's no in between. And that was pretty much the case for his one. Some of the stories he wrote I really enjoyed, and others I was like... WTH? Haha! Liked: The Mist, The Monkey, Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, The Wedding Gig, The Raft, Word Processor of the Gods, The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands, Beachworld, The Reaper's Image, Uncle Otto's Truck, Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1), The Ballad of The Flexible Bullet Hated: Here There Be Tygers, Cain Rose Up, The Jaunt, Paranoid: A Chant, Nona, For Owen, Survivor Type, Big Wheels: A Tale of the Laundry Game (Milkman #2), Gramma, The Reach *The Wedding Gig didn't seem like a typical King story to me, but I still liked it, I thought it had a good pace. *Beachworld started slow for me, but I really liked it at the end when it started getting into the action. -I just did not get the point of Here There Be Tygers, Cain Rose Up, Paranoid: A Chant and For Owen.
@thezone (9451)
Glad you read it. Skeleton crew was a bit of a mish mash of stories, not as good as Night Shift but there was some gems in it. You already know what I am going to say lol, The Mist is my favorite story in the book and (I loved the movie too ) it is kind of a hook to get you reading the rest of the book. I liked most of the stories you did, although I was not keen on Beachworld or The Jaunt, but then I am not heavily into science fiction but The Jaunt was the better of the two. When I read Here be Tygers all I could think about was Calvin and Hobbes I liked Survivor Type a lot, King did a lot of research into that one as to what you could do to yourself and stay alive even if it meant going insane. I liked The Reach a lot although the subject matter maybe morbid but it was beautifully written, who knows it could be us one day. The Raft was part of the movie Creepshow 2 if you get the chance to see it, I am sure you have seen the first one. PS. I got Paranormal Activity 2 on DVD at at last but I have yet to watch it. I am sure you had a discussion on it a while back but I can't find it. If you could PM me the link, I will get back to you with my thoughts when I watch it.
I really only liked the end of Beachworld, when the "rescue" ship came and all the action started. I liked the image of the giant sand arm coming down on the ships door. lol I did not like The Jaunt! It made me uncomfortable, and I definitely didn't like the ending! (Like the other one...lol) I couldn't think of anything when it came to Here Be Tygers, my mind was a confusion of blankness lol. Survivor Type was way too disturbing for me. I hate cannabalism in reading/movies, and a guy eating himself??? Oh boy! No Thank You! lol I think The Reach was the hardest/slowest for me to read. There were a lot of parts that dragged on for me. I did kind of like when she saw here (ex husband?) out on the reach though. I will see if I can find my P.A. 2 discussion and I'll send it to you. Enjoy the movie! Hope you like it!!
@thezone (9451)
Yeah the ending of Beachworld was not bad. The Jaunts ending is one we will argue over lol, that's why I like King, he takes you to places you do not want to go but brings you there. Tygers was an odd one I admit. Survivor Type was interesting to say the least, what would you do in that situation? The Reach was a slow read but the pay off was worth it I think, it is a subject that we all think about at some point in our lives and I hope maybe we do see our loved ones when we pass on. I got the link for the PA discussion, thanks. As soon as I watch it I will chip in my thoughts. I have a stack of DVDs to watch at the moment. I got Kings Dreamcatcher to watch and I also picked up the book at a car boot sale and in excellent condition. I know it is sci fi and aliens but I will give both a go.
Lol oh no, you like all the dark endings?? An ending for me doesn't necessarily have to be "happy" but it has to be....final and...not horrible. lol I definitely would not do what that guy did in Survivor Type! lol. I'm always saying if I was stranded or lost somewhere there had better be berries or other fruit, because otherwise I would starve! I wouldn't be able to kill any animals to eat them lol. I saw Dreamcatcher but I don't really remember it. Let me know how it is!
The Mist was really good i thought & had me thinking WTF all the way through it!! i can't remember much of the other stories...looks like i may have to read it again I am lad you went with one of my suggestions from another of your discussions
It was you!!!!! lol. I couldn't remember who told me to read it. I'm glad I already had a copy of it! Yeah The Mist was good and creepy, but weird too :P I'm getting the movie on Netflix. I already saw it when it came out, but now that I've read it, I want to watch it and compare them.
To tell you the truth, I didn't even know it was a movie! I will have to try & find a copy of it myself!
Oh, it's a movie alright....a movie with a VERY disappointing ending!!!!! lol. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to watch it
@erikmama (12929)
I am a huge fan of Stephen King also and I think that I pretty much have the same theory as you. I love it or I hate it. He is a very talented writer though. I just watched Secret Window last night. I remember the first time I watched it it was like o man!! One of my favorites is Needful THings. I read that book in about a day. I think that I have read Skeleten Crew but am not sure. Is it an older King novel? I remember reading one of his short storeis collections a few year ago and some I liked and some I did not.
I saw and read Secret Window. I definitely liked the novella better. I don't like how the movie changed the ending and one of the characters. I have not read Needful Things yet, but I do have it. Isn't it a long book?? You read it in a day?? lol. I read Under The Dome (1,000+ pages) in a week or less. I really liked that. I read a lot of his short stories collections (Just After Sunset, Everythings Eventual, Skeleton Crew, and one more I can't remember right now). Yeah Skeleton is an older collection.
@erikmama (12929)
Guess I will have to read the book now to find out whta you are talking about!! yes Needful Things is a HUGE book. I could not put it down. But that's how Stephen does it...leaves you so intrigued to find out the nexy.. He gives you just enough info . But it is a good book. I've only saw part of the movie!
Is Needful Things part of a "series?" Isn't there a book that follows or comes before it? I just want to make sure I read stories in order!!! :)
@choybel (5059)
I haven't read those last stories you mentioned but I'd probably agree with you for I, too agree that Stephen King's works are either to just love or hate, no in-betweens. I still haven't find time to bring myself to go back reading, specially his works but I think I'm about to, after reading this discussion. Thanks!
Well if you do I'd say skip the one's I don't like..but that wouldn't really be fair because people have different tastes...you may like the ones I hate, and hate the one's I like! lol Let me know if you do read it, and what you think! :)