How much you spend on yourself?

Italy
I was studying a book and writer writes that we humans do not spend the money we earn on ourselves, its only about 5% of our earnings which we spent on our selves all the rest of the money we are spending saving for family future or on peoples around us and one day we died and other peoples enjoy the benefits of our hard work. I analysed it on myself and found it almost true. Now what about you peoples do you agree with this or not?
@marketing07 (6266)
• South Korea
i spend for myself if is necessary, i have my own savings too..i balance everything because i dont want that when i grow old i dont have any savings..
Hi Rocky, i think this is true for certain number of people. Even i don't spend that much on myself. I try to save as much as i can. All my savings goes to either bills, my college fees, rent or all other things. I do spend on myself when i am done with all other expenditures. I like spending on my hubby though. I get things for him quite often. Now, this is my experience but i know some people who complain that they spend way too much. it totally depends on an individual and also on their income.
@erikmama (12934)
Right now I am preety broke so I am not spending a lot of money on anyone!! lol!! I agree that we do not spend a lot of money on ourselves for the most part though theer are those out there who do love to spoil themselves with treats. Whenever I do go shopping or something 90% of the time it is to buy something for my kids...
@Sanitary (3969)
Yes, i agree. I don't spend much on myself either. Most of my earnings are spent on family, household expenses, bills, transport while nothing much is spent for my own leisure or self grooming. I'm saving up for the future as well and that explains why i don't have much to spare, but i'm content with it. Future is more important than the present.
ya i agree with you
@dodo19 (27311)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It's actually kind of interesting to think about. I just finished my studies and for the most part what I received from my loan or help from my parents went towards bills, food, and such. It does somewhat apply, but I was also spend it on myself as I was paying for my education. It is somewhat true in a sense.
@chiyosan (29389)
Well, i guess i will agree with this. I notice that too that i spend a few on of but is always willing to give more to family.
This is very true for myself. I have to care for my daughter and the bills first. This leaves me very little to spare for myself. These next few months have to budget in for my big $600 purchase so I will be doing that. after that I go back to being the one without stuff.
@dream_ozn (1758)
Wow, this is really an interesting read. we only spend 5% on ourselves. Quite sad though. We work so hard thinking its for ourselves but in the end its for other people. However, to think of it on the other hand, i believe spending the money on other people actually gives us much more happiness then we would if we spend it on ourselves.
@babyanna (1217)
Hi,rockydam83! To me,right now,this theory doesn't apply.I'm still an university student and my parents are supporting me now.I'm doing some part-time jobs but mostly the income was spend on myself.Buying clothes,necessities,snacks,you name it.I feel a little ashamed 'cause I'm still spending my parents' money.I hope I could earn more so I could support myself.And I'm working on it. I think it's true with my parents since they are trying to save money for my future and their future.They don't really buy a lot of things for themselves which makes me feel more guilty. This theory may be true with some people who already have a family.They need to consider more instead of just thinking about themselves.For people who are single,I think they usually spend most of the earnings on themselves. Have a nice weekend!
Honestly, since I'm the only one earning in the family, it is true. What I earn is mostly for the bills and food. I rarely buy anything for myself. If ever I buy what I need it would be the cheap ones just to get through the necessity for a while. Which isn't really helping with the budget. But I have no choice, before I receive my paycheck it is divided already for the bills to be paid. The only thing I can indulge myself once in a awhile is food. I would eat out even by myself to eat what I like. Due to the dire budget, we rarely prepare what I really like to eat.