drinking mouthwash, substitute for alcohol

i was watching something on tv about intervention. it was in japanese language translated but from the characters i can tell that it is in english language originally. this lady since she can not but any beers or any thing that she can drink to give in with her addiction with drinking, drinks mouthwash instead. there are a lot of question rush in my mind. i mean if she can not go out to buy any thing that can quench her thirst because she is alcoholic, why are there so many big bottles of mouthwash in their house. who buys it? can you really drink mouthwash as a substitute for alcohol? isnt this painful to drink?
@JenInTN (27564)
I have heard of people doing that before. There is a cough syrup that people drink too. I wrinkle my nose every time I think about it though...that stuff is horrible. I have heard that it makes them hallucinate too. As far as the mouthwash..that is just as bad. I bet that it is terrible for your stomach too. I can't imagine drinking it...sometimes it's hard to keep it in your mouth if it's the strong stuff.
That is just sick and I would think they would remove this this from her home. She is beyond treatable at this point.
yes i think she is beyond treatable. the show is intervention but i guess she was more thrown into jail for answering back to the judge and hitting a police officer. even during her initial hearing she was drunk. pitiful that scene and she even humiliates her kids for she goes out and falls flat on the street of too much drunk. thanks a lot for the response.