Do you fall asleep easily?

@scheng1 (24748)
Singapore
I marvel at the ability of my mother to fall asleep easily. She can sleep anywhere and anytime. The minute she decides to sleep, her mind just shuts down, and a minute later, you can hear her snoring. I heard from her that this ability to fall asleep easily is in the genes. My grandmother had the same ability, and my aunt, meaning the sister of my mother, had the same ability. Apparently the saying that the old people sleep lightly and wake up at every slight noise does not apply to her. She does not even wake up when the ambulances race along the road next to my house. Even when a few ambulances are on full sirens, she does not wake up. Not even a loud thunder can wake her up. She just sleeps like a baby. Somehow I do not get the full benefits of such genes. I wake up at every slight and strange noise!
@Micmac (9270)
Every little noise keeps me awake. I tend to think and analyze on lots of stuff before going to sleep. Even when I sleep I'm on my toes. :) Incidentally-there was a health article I saw recently and they suggested that drinking cherry juice will help people suffering from insomia. The cherry juice actually makes restless sleepers go to sleep easily. I will have to try it.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Micmac, I think it has more to do with your personality. You must be the type that worry too much and always unnecessarily. Only when you can think positively, then you will improve on the quality of your sleep. Nothing can make you go asleep, unless you are taking very strong medication.
@Micmac (9270)
That is exactly me. You have surely described me to a tee. Now, if only I can concentrate at night on the positive thoughts, then sleep will be easier. I will have to work on this and worry less. So good to chat with you, my dear!
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Micmac, I read some practical advice about getting your worries down in writing so that you can stop thinking about them. I think that is a good idea. After that, you can start to repeat positive ideas. Surprising how problems become bigger at night. It usually does not seem such a big problem during the day hours.
@rachael5760 (2711)
• Israel
You can train yourself to do this if you want. Just tell yourself before you fall asleep that you are going to sleep soundly and not be bothered by noise. You will be amazed that it does work!
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Rachael, that sounds like a good idea. I just hope that it does not make me late for work! I do not have the problem of oversleeping even if I do not fall asleep that easily, or even when I wake up in the middle of the night. I think when we have the right physical environment for rest, we should be able to sleep deeply.
@meidiana (108)
Dear Rachael5760 and Scheng1, I can say I can sleep easily. and I like sleeping too. But, since I went to Lab and check my blood, and got the result that I get Hypo-Thyroid which has some symptoms, and two of the symptoms are fatigue and often get asleep. Now, I only hope to get well very soon. And I wonder, will I still able to sleep easily when I get cured from that Hypo-Thyroid?
• Israel
I would go to the doctor who ordered the lab tests and ask what are your options, and what actions to take. It is best that you be under medical supervision for this serious problem.
I am a sound sleeper too. Loud noises don't wake me. Having to go to the bathroom Does! I can take tiny naps and be ok. Otherwise I stay up until I'm so tired I fall asleep instantly.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Sara, I hate to get up in the middle of the night to go toilet. I think it is very troublesome to get out of our cozy bed, and then touch water when we are feeling cold. I hate it very much, and I try to reduce the need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I seldom take naps, since it is not possible with a day job.
Suggestion. Don't drink any liquid an hour before bedtime.this May help.
@dpk262006 (56473)
Hi! I do not fall asleep so easily. It takes at least 10 to 15 minutes for me to fall asleep . When am very tired and wish to go to sleep then sleep does not eludes me. Sometimes when am reading a book/magazine for a long time, I will fall sleep while reading the book.
@scheng1 (24748)
haha Dpk, I guess you must have slept very well right before a major examination when you were still schooling. Some people tend to fall asleep when they read boring books. When a person is very tired, even watching TV can make him fall asleep. I think it depends on each person, and our lifestyle and genes.
@dpk262006 (56473)
.....do not make wild assumptions that I would have slept during major examination. It did not happen.
@tiffnkeat (1679)
I am a easy sleeper too. Just went to KL on a night train. So loud, yet soundly asleep. Usually I go into deep sleep too, and very quickly. I am sure to be in the Z-monsters land within 10-15 minutes of hitting the pillows. I think.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Tiffnkeat, in this case, you better not go for night cruise. It will be a complete waste of time and money to sleep throughout the duration of the cruise. I think you must have slept your way through national service! How many best sleeping awards have you gotten? How many hours of sleep do you have at work? Perhaps your ability to sleep with eyes open manage to fool your bosses too!
@squallming (1776)
I'm just as easily asleep as your relatives. I can sleep whenever I want, wherever I want. Noises won't affect me much unless it's deadly. I used to sleep when my mother and her boyfriend were singing karaoke out in the living room which is only five steps away from me? I can still sleep until morning. I can never have problem with sleeping and I will never understand what it's like to have insomnia.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Squallming, that is great. You definitely enjoy a healthy body, a healthy mind, and very good genes. I think with such a gene, living to a hundred years old is not a problem at all. If most people in your family have such genes, then you will never have to experience insomnia at all. I think many people will envy you for such activities. Let us hope that it is not due to your youth! Most people have sleep problem after reaching adulthood, when they need to work long hours and face stress at work. Some people even take on jobs that require them to work rotating shift, and this mess up their internal clock badly.
@pshykid (45)
I do not fall asleep,I take a very long to fal asleep.but,instead when I am not asleep i keep playin music inorder to make me fall asleep. But,there are some situations when i fell asleep and all but it happens rarely once in a while.When I go out with friends just to hang around the city I feel asleep as soon as return back early at night.Hence,falling aslee changes from persos to persons its according to their genes.It also differs according to the work you do in a day....
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Pshykid, I think the physical activity makes you tired, that is why you can fall asleep easily after a day in the city. I think in this case, you are better off moving to the city, or getting a job in the city. The constant stress of city living usually makes a person hard to fall asleep, but it seems to have the opposite effect on you. Over here, getting on board the train is like a race. The minute we step out of the house, we are fighting to save every second. Missing a red light means waiting for 40 seconds more, and that means missing the train, and has to wait for five more minutes. In the end, we are ten minutes late. So all the missed seconds accumulate to make us lose a few minutes.
I do not fall asleep easily and sometimes, i wished it wasn't so.I need total darkness and silence and needs to be very very tired. I tend to quickly wake up to the slightest sound in the room and this usually breaks up my sleep constantly. I sometimes have to go buy sleeping pill to fall asleep and not wake up until the next morning. When i was younger, i didn't have these sleeping problem, but as i grew older, things got worse and sometimes, I'd spent the entire night in front of my computer because i just can't fall asleep.I'm thinking about going to see a doctor to make sure this is not some inner problem in me.
@min8esign (168)
I was not an easy person to sleep. I sometimes take some effort to get to sleep. Watching TV all night letting my eyes tired, ease me to fall asleep.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Min8esign, I hope that is not the only way to make you tired, and fall asleep! Are you always having problem with sleep? Or is it due to some changes in your life, such as moving to a new house or getting a new job. I think it is good to find out other ways to fall into a deep sleep faster. Otherwise you will waste too much money on electricity for the TV. I think even if you fall asleep in front of the Tv, it is not really a sound, and deep sleep.
@globaldoc (860)
I actually do not have problems with sleeping. I just get to be so busy that sleeping for me becomes so rare. This is why I get to bed already so tired. This is why when I close my eyes, I immediately fall asleep. If not, I would just imagine being together in a family outing with my mother in law, and I would fall asleep faster than a speeding bullet.
@scheng1 (24748)
Haha Globaldoc, I think your mother in law must think you are still a baby! Just hope that she does not get offended to see you falling asleep when she talks to you half way. I hope your life is not so busy now. Having enough sleep is very important. Otherwise our body will make us pay when we are older.
@Mayuko (1272)
I usually don't fall asleep easily. There are sometimes when I don't get enough sleep, so of course I fall asleep quickly. I'm also a very light sleeper. I suppose this can be a good thing because if there is an emergency or someone breaking into my house, I could arise and act sooner.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Mayuko, sometimes I need at least an hour of tossing before I can fall asleep. it is possible that I am not physically tired enough. I think many people do not have enough exercise to make them feel physically tired, and mentally tired is not enough to make us fall asleep. i am a light sleeper, but not that serious. At least I do not wake up when familiar noise happens at night. I live near a busy junction, and traffic noise is a constant.
@fantabulus (4005)
No I not fall asleep easily when I goes on the bed at least after half an hour I can asleep. Some time till one hour I cant sleep. But my husband can sleep easily with in 5 minutes. I have no habit of snoring.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Fantabulus, it must be very boring to see your husband sleeping so soundly, and yet you cannot fall asleep after half an hour. I think your husband works very hard at work, and he is very tired when he reaches home. Good that he can sleep well and have a restful night. Sometimes I think it has to do with genes. Some people can afford to sleep just for six hours, and they have energy for an active lifestyle.
@phillyguy (3008)
yup when I am drunk kidding aside I have a hard time sleeping right away sometimes I am already lying in my bed for hours but I still can't sleep but since my worktime change from morning to afternoon when I arrived home late at night It is easier for me now to sleep just a few minutes after I lay on my bed but the problem is I wake up really late
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Phillyguy, I think you are night person. Some people prefer to work at night, since that is the best hour for them. I think afternoon shift suits you, if you can fall asleep after returning home from work. As long as you wake up fresh and happy, it does not matter that you wake up late. If you want to wake up earlier, you can just set the alarm.
@sender621 (14956)
As i have gotten older, i seem to be able to fall asleep more easily. when i was younger it would take ne half the night to finally fall asleep at night,. niw it seems i am asleep before my head can hit the pillow. I guess sooner or kater everything catches up with us.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Sender, that is strange. Most people find it harder to sleep when they get older. The ones that have worst sleep are those in their retirement. Sometimes a slight noise makes them wake up in the middle of the night, and they cannot sleep after that. I think the physical effect of aging affects the sleep pattern in some cases. For you, it seems to have the opposite effect.
@succeednow (1636)
Hi scheng1, Having a proper sleep is very important for the proper functioning of the body and mind. The ability to fall asleep and to have sound and deep sleep is indeed a blessing. In today's society more and more people are finding it increasingly difficult to get a good night's sleep. Many people would pay a lot to have this 'luxury'. Why can't these people sleep properly. I'm sure when they were babies they had no problem sleeping at all. I think the problem is mental - too much stress in their lives - all the time worrying and thinking of this and that - all sorts of stuff cloud their mind - could be work, relationship, desire or whatever. So the trick is if one could clear one's mind I'm pretty sure sleeping would not be a problem. How to clear one's mind of such clutter? Well, that's a topic of discussion for another day. Have a good night sleep!
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Succeednow, actually stress is not a modern day invention. i am sure people in the past had very stressful life too. They just do not make it worse by thinking about it all the time. After all, we can see that the problems we face today are not unique to our times. We have wars, earthquakes, murder, and stealing, the same as all other times in history. I think the problem is in our coping skills, and our desire to live far beyond our means. That is the thing that keeps us awake, since we want more and better material comforts than others.
@jpso138 (7869)
I too have the the same problem when it comes to sleeping. I really find it hard to sleep. I need to have no lights when I sleep, otherwise, I surely will not be able to sleep well. If there is a sound, perhaps I can tolerate for as long as its soft music, other than that would end up finding myself wide awake. I also have to wear a very comfortable clothing to sleep well. I really envy those people who are really good at sleeping even in whatever position.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Jpso, I think you will find it miserable if your job requires frequent travel and sleeping in different location every night. Some people just need a certain environment to sleep well. They cannot sleep in a new environment with unfamiliar sound. I also envy those who can sleep even when they are standing in a crowded bus. I can never do that. I will worry about my bag, and things inside my bag.
@indi15 (883)
She is really lucky to have a sound sleep when ever she wants. At times when i am tired or got up early in morning, i go to sleep fast . otherwise i need 30 minutes to 1 hour to make myself sleep , not before that.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Indi15, spending an hour tossing in bed is plain torture. I have such nights too, and I do not like it. Usually I can fall asleep within 30 minutes, but then I wake up when hearing strange noise. If only I can sleep like my mother, I think I will have much more energy in the day hours.
@Triple0 (1907)
Why are we so similar!? I am just like you and our mothers are so similar. My Mum just hits the sack and she's out like a night light. I don't get how she can sleep so easily like that. She can sleep like 3 times in a day while I can never sleep during the day. My Mum tends to snore a lot too and her snoring can't get me sleeping I a very tough sleeper, a slight movement or loud noise can get me awake and alert very easily. I can never sleep during the day either. Each time I lay down to take a short afternoon nap, I either don't sleep at all or I get up with a really bad headache. It always happens! Each time I sleep during the day, I wake up with an annoying headache. So I can only sleeping during the night and most of the time I don't get enough sleep that's why I have dark rings under my eyes. I wish I got my Mum's genes. I got my dad's genes instead and my grandma is a tough sleeper too. I envy people who can sleep so easily. At camp, all my friends slept straight away while I took like 2 hours just lying there.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Triple0, it is plain torturing to keep awake while our mothers snore away. I have to keep pushing her to wake up when she snores too loudly. Otherwise I will have Panda eyes in the morning too. It is funny how age never deprives them of their ability to sleep like a baby, and yet we cannot sleep so well. I think we will get more miserable as we age. By the time we reach our parents' age, I think we might have just a few hours of good sleep every night.
Oh how i wish i am like your mother who easily falls asleep anywhere and anytime. As for me, i don't go to sleep unless my eyes is already shutting down. I would watch the TV until i would feel sleepy. But the moment i fell asleep, i am already unaware if it's raining or my husband is knocking at the window because he left the house key, and he arrives so late because they had a drinking spree. or sometimes when i slept early, i didn't notice at all that my husband was already home and was watching the TV all the time beside me. I would at least take a pee for about more than 3x in a night, but always as i go back to sleep, i sleep as if i didn't get up to pee.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Simplyd, fortunately you are not living in a high rise apartment! Your husband cannot knock at the window then. He probably has to spend the whole night sleeping on the staircase. Maybe you need some noise to induce you to sleep. Some people are like that, they sleep with the TV on, and they wake up a few hours later to find out how late it is, and they need some water, and go washroom. I just hope that I can sleep as soundly as my mother. Too bad I do not have all of her good genes.
I think all those people are blessed. Wrong, rather, because it is not as if they have any role or contribution in the whole thing. They live a life, a disciplined life may be, due to which they do not experience bother all the time that some of us do. So to that extent, hats off to them. Yes, even sleeping without disturbance at every little noise is an indication of the fact that they go to sleep completely care free and with a sense of accomplishment every time so they don't have to be startled at every little noise. I go to sleep quite fast and uncontrollably but not at regular sleep time or defined place. My sleep is always when I sit in a moving vehicle. It barely takes a few minutes for me to doze off after the vehicle starts moving! And my best refreshing sleep is the one I get this way. Meaning, I find it quite fulfilling! So much so, certain close friends & colleagues found it amusing and would tease me! We would travel about 5 hours when I was touring in the hilly areas of Himachal Pradesh from Shimla & beyond in cars and I had to invariably tie seat belt around me because I wouldn't manage keeping awake but the swerving vehicle at n number of road bends would not leave me sitting in one place. My wife is one who gets instant sleep but she also wakes up even when there is noise of footsteps in the room!
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Push, I think you should not go for a coach holiday in this case. It will be a waste of money to bring you on a 10 days coach tour, and then you sleep all the way. Most people cannot sleep in buses or cars, because they do not feel safe with their possessions unguarded. They have to hold tight to their bags, and then they cannot sleep deeply. Probably the movement of the vehicle induces you to sleep.