Strange message appeared on Wikipedia today

@alberello (4755)
Italy
Dear friends, as many of you know, Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that collects in my opinion a large part of all the "known and knowledges", today opened with this strange message: If everyone who reads this post, donate € 5, our fundraising would end today. Ok, ok, I know that a project is always free, however, need to raise funds in order to survive, but to me it has always been a known fact that Wikipedia has a page always open to donations for those who could or would like to donate. In this respect I do not understand why trumpeting this message to all those who make access to the site as if they feel obliged to donate money immediately. I want to be honest and tell you that I have never donated, but instill a reason exists, the fact that I can not donate because I do not have the chance. For this reason all the ways that message leaves me indifferent (unfortunately !). Later reading the message of the "creator" Jimmy Wales, just today I discovered that Wikipedia is the fifth most visited site in the world with billions of pages available. The message was then written as this, and only in this period people all over the world come together to support the Wikipedia project. In conclusion I can say this: "glory and honor" to those who donate money to this wonderful cultural project. But let's not forget that many people (myself included) are unable to do so. That said what do you think?
@deadbeat (84)
That donate message has been appearing on Wikipedia in some form or another if I am not mistaken since August. I do not go to Wikipedia much as they are not always a reliable source for information, and have been more than once flat out wrong. So I use them once in a while when I need some basic information. Like the other day I was trying to find out when Newt Gingrich left the House of Representatives and did he vote on repealing the Glass Steagall Act. And I saw the message that you saw, except it stated a dollar amount. Now even if I had the money I would not donate to them, simply because they are known to be unreliable in their information. The main reason I don't donate to them is I don't have the money, but even if I did I still wouldn't donate to them, and I think that is the problem they are running up against. Their reputation is not that great, and in a world wide recession, they are ending up begging for money longer than normal, and people just don't have it.