I smell a rat! Again?

@wolveren (1569)
Cebu, Philippines
It's been 3 years or so that I have had a rat infestation problem at the house. I usually leave them alone as they are part of the ecosystem in my area, they are food for the cats as well. But when the rat population becomes rather too large, and they start destroying stuff at the house that is a different story. Usually the rats or mice stay out of our way, but there's this one really pesky rat who keeps eating up wooden parts of the house, or tearing up clothes, making too many holes, and stealing food from the cupboards. None of my cats want to hunt him down because he's either too big for them or just plain wiser not to get in the cat's way. . First I would like to trap it, as it is the most humane thing I could do. Once it is trapped. I will travel far and let it go in some woods or in the mountain fields. But nope. This rat is too wise for traps. So hey okay let's just poison this one pesky rat and be done with him. But none of the poison stuff I bought works. He ignores them and still the gnawing at wooden things at the house continues and is already annoying the crap out of me. I must be missing something and haven't thought of anything to get rid of this pesky rat.
@samson1 (738)
• Jamaica
What did you say Wolveren? Did you say rats are visiting your home again? How could you allow that to happen, when you are wolveren? (Smile). Anyway, I think that you need to get serious about getting rid of this rat and his/her family as quickly as possible. Call in the professional rodent exterminators, who will not treat these creatures as gently as you appear to be doing at this moment! Wolveren, I dread the thought that these 'fellows' may be threatening your family's health, if you are not careful. I hope that this rat (and its family) does not cause you to be forced out of your house (or leave you houseless and naked because they eat it all up under your 'collective noses') Did you say that the cat is not catching these rats at your house? It's very possible, because cats are better able to handle catching mice, than rats.., catching rats seem to take too much work and possible injury for the cats to consider challenging rats and converting them to 'cats' dinner. I can understand why your cat is disinterested in hunting rats! Never mind, however, get professional help, ok? Do it quickly.
@samson1 (738)
• Jamaica
Hey Wolveren, a thought came to me. Given that you have that dilemma to solve now and perhaps in the future, why do'nt you and your friends open an Pest Control and Exterminator company? You and your neighborhood could benefit from this unfortunate situation. Put forward a business plan, approach your financial company (bank) get some money and invest in this venture. In five years, you could send me an invitation to visit your community, and share the genesis of your journey and success story. Try it out.., who knows, you may like it.
@wolveren (1569)
• Cebu, Philippines
Yes I actually considered that myself 3 years ago, and I wish it was that easy. That is way outside of my comfort zone. Out of my league. It requires years of research and study to succeed in that field. It's not like putting up a gym business. hehe. Frankly, even with the odds I will still consider that. I'm open to a variety of possibilities. One step at a time. The bank loan is quick and easy. I need to get some trustworthy partners to achieve that. I have gone into business a couple of times in the past and all fell short because of my partners. But that is reserved for another discussion. Fear not, I will definitely invite you as an honorary guest if I ever get to pursue that venture in the future.
@samson1 (738)
• Jamaica
Indeed, I understand the challenges involved in going into a venture such as the one i suggested earlier in our conversation. Wolveren, your comments (including the possible invite) are much appreciated. Good luck
I don't care about anything when it comes to these. they will never be able to live around me. I rid my home all the time when I have them. good thing I have no problems in this new place. Ok,now for the problem your having. buy some gloves,then buy some cotton balls,and next go to the health food store and buy a big bottle of peppermint oil. soak the cotton balls with clean glove on with the oil. place the cotton balls where you see droppings around your place. The pests will eat the peppermint balls and die and you will never smell them. People in Ny are suffering with rodent problems and this is helping so many people. The man in the store knew exactly the problem when I bought mine. My mother put down hers and they ate it the first night. My friend no longer has any since she did this and put down cayenne pepper.
@wolveren (1569)
• Cebu, Philippines
Whoah you may have something there. First time I have ever heard of using this kind of bait. I didn't know rats like to eat peppermint stuff. Isn't that too hot for them? How long do you think it will kill them? I will definitely try it. I will have to find an alternative to peppermint oil though, I'm not sure if we have that around here. Maybe cayenne pepper is or some other really hot alternative. thanks for the info! I'll let you know if it works.
If you have time do a search online for the peppermint. I see your talking about a big rat not a mouse. I don't know if the pepper will be enough for the rats.. I was told by someone who was infested with rats that would crawl on him at night. that e took regular black pepper from the kitchen and sprinked it around his bed on the floor and the rats stopp crawling on him. I would not try that I would want the peppermint to get rid of them. I had rats where I lived in miami I had to move. I put my fridge in the entry way of my bedroom.. my table in my room and I cooked in a skillet on the table all to save me from goin in that kitchen. I called the health dept and they came out and walked the grounds they showed me all the rat holes in my building. I moved fast. I did not know about the peppermint at that time.
@wolveren (1569)
• Cebu, Philippines
You know what I had a hard time looking for peppermint oil in this dump of a country I'm in. The groceries didn't have them or I must be missing something. But I tried googling it. And yes a lot had suggested peppermint oil as well as cayenne pepper. Some even suggested that if I had cats and kittens, the kittens droppings will definitely piss off the rats. They can't stand the smell of them. Lucky for me we have a lot of cats. Then one pregnant cat happen to give birth to 3 little kittens in my store room. A few weeks later, the place smelled of kitten droppings. The rats have disappeared. Now I'm not sure if it were the kittens' droppings or the other larger male cats coming up to my floor to investigate the little kittens that have scared the rats away. Sure enough it did the job. But I'm not stopping just yet. They will be back. By then I will be prepared with any pepper thing just in case. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
@sukumar794 (5047)
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
Households infested with rats...a real problem to face, a hazardous one for that matter to manage.Measures to oust the malady are to be taken on a war footing. It is necessary to kill the lot of rats through rat traps or baits and even by poisoning them .Since the rats are the sole cause for spreading fevers of fatal nature,the elimination of the pets require quite a lot of public attention and awareness
@wolveren (1569)
• Cebu, Philippines
Too bad my country has none of the public and even the government's attention. Thanks for the response. :)