Putting me off camping

@telmesh (1793)
July 4, 2012 3:48am CST
I love my annual family camping holiday, it gives the freedom that they can't have at home. Due to the very strange weather we are having this year, having the wettest June and the prospect for July looking similar I'm thinking this year we might abandon the idea of camping. The pitch was booked last year and we paid our £50 eagerly looking forward to the end of July and sunny Britain on the south coast. The incessant bad weather has made us think that we might have to give it a miss this year has changed the outlook to dread. I looked at the cancellation conditions to find that if we cancel within 28 days of the holiday then we are liable to pay the full amount of the holiday. This can't be an enforceable condition surely as the facilities being purchased have not been used. What's your view?
1 person likes this
2 responses
@Sandra1952 (6052)
• Spain
15 Jul 12
It seems a lot to pay for a deposit on a pitch, especially as you paid the deposit so long ago. Maybe you got a reduction on the normal price because you booked so far in advance? I see from your update that you've managed to come to a suitable compromise - the caravan will certainly be more comfortable if the weather is bad. You have to feel sorry for the site owners in this - they must be getting loads of cancellations, and with the weather forecast being so bad, there's little likelihood of last minute bookings to make up for it.
1 person likes this
@telmesh (1793)
18 Jul 12
I don't that I feel sorry for the site owners but I do see their position. My son works in the building industry so when there is bad weather it effects his ability to work plus with the influx of cheap labour from other EU countries who rent a house for multi occupation to keep costs down. I feel that if you don't actually provide the service then you should not expect to be paid.
• United States
6 Jul 12
Although it seems unfair to make you pay the entire amount and 28 days seems like a long time, I guess they could probably enforce it if they have a written policy. Maybe calling them and explaining like you did here could help you and them come to at least a compromise. I hope it works out for you.
@telmesh (1793)
6 Jul 12
This has turned out so well. As we going in 2 tents and since booking my son has not had a lot of work, there is a bit more available now and he has decided to not go on holiday and take the opportunity of more work. This now leaves 6 of us so that the venue is prepared to let us have a caravan with three bedrooms one double and 2 twins at a fraction of the cost it would be normally. It could still be a wet holiday but hey this is Britain and we should not get very windy weather, just wet and maybe a bit of sun.