Reading someones Eyes

@Jshean20 (14374)
When you look into someones eyes do you find yourself learning a lot about that person? Do you think eyes tell a story? Not everyone likes being looked at in the eyes, do you find it offensive? What kinds of things do you learn by looking at a persons eyes? I can tell if they're tired, sad, excited, empty or ill.
@samson1 (738)
• Jamaica
It has been thought by some persons, that one can learn something about the other individual by 'reading their eyes'. In my opinion, that activity -though practiced in several occassions- may not provide any conclusive information. Why? In the same way that people can lie, persons under scrutiny can provide misleading information by altering how they 'fix' their eyes. In addition, anyone being scrutinized can create the condition whereby they can give the 'tired, or exited or vain eyed look'. When this type of 'eye manipulation' occurs, what much can the observer learn about the individual by trying to read their eyes? Hmm, I wonder.
@Jshean20 (14374)
I wonder if people can trick their eyes into giving a look that really gives a false statement-- can a kind person really make their eyes look mean?
@samson1 (738)
• Jamaica
Jshean20, I like your question. However, I think that 'reading 'the eyes' alone cannot provide the investigator with pertinent information, such as whether the individual under scrutiny is giving them an accurate or false statement. In fact, whenever the 'experts' seek to obtain any information from individuals under scrutiny by 'reading their eyes' (to determine how the pupils fluctuate in diameter), he or she usually use a specific scientific device, as well as other emotive information. Even with the 'best approaches/techniques being practiced, and the use of those 'scientific' instruments at the investigators' disposal, there is no guarantee whether the truth will be told or not. As for looking mean, the eyes cannot give that 'feeling' by itself; but it is everything else about the person that can convey whether the person is 'mean spirited' or not.
@jricky1 (6809)
I do not find it offensive.Coz sometimes you look directly into someones eyes and you are showing your respect.But not stare.This can realy cause me uncomfortable.Well,hope you can understand.Eyes are really the window that you show to other people.
@Jshean20 (14374)
Plus looking into the eyes also shows that you're listening carefully, if you're looking elsewhere the person might think that you're distracted.
I have no idea how some1 can read some1 other's eyes... people say eye is the window of heart. But I can not see anything there but the eye...
@Jshean20 (14374)
I don't think it's something that can be explained, it's just something people can read "just because". Thanks for your input.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
A long time ago when my brother was a student he received a list of the teachers at his school. Next to the list there was a picture of the each teacher. I think that there were about 25 teachers. Out of the those teachers I noticed one teacher, I looked at his eyes and I thought that he looked like a very kind person, but I didn't say anything. My mother also looked at the pictures of the teachers and she pointed at the same teacher and said: "He looks like a kind person, he has kind eyes" I thought that it was interesting my mother and I got the same impression just by looking at his eyes. I think that you can learn a lot about a person by looking at the eyes for instanse the person's mood. I can see if a person is happy or sad, and eyes also gives me an impression of the person's personality (hard eyes/kind eyes)
@Jshean20 (14374)
Sounds like you and your mother have a gift for judging a good sense of character. Thanks for your input.
@ddaguno (3110)
i look into other peoples eyes so that they would know that i am not lying. it's really hard to look someone in the eye if you are not telling the truth
@Jshean20 (14374)
Even if I am being truthful I sometimes find it hard looking into eyes, it might be a confidence issue.
I have a friend who reads peoples eyes, he says he can tell and etc. Many times he is right, what type person they are, sincerity, and honesty. Also like you sadness,and spirit also show up.
@Jshean20 (14374)
Sincerity is a good one, eyes usually give that away as well. Thanks for you input coxjoseph5