Spanking in Extreme Circumstances...is it really that Bad?

@Jshean20 (14374)
When I was growing up, a child recieving a spank in extreme situations was not a big deal, infact they often learned from it. It seems these days you could end up having Children's Aid Society at your door if you do such a thing! What's your opinion on it? Thanks for commenting.
@marianne87 (3526)
I was spanked as a child, if my mother couldn't get me to listen and behave, and I learned from it. There were times when she spanked my sister and I from frustration, and though that is wrong, I can understand it, as I have 3 children of my own now, and I know how mad they can make you! I only spank my children if I have to. It is a last resort, after I have tried reasoning with them, discussing actions and consequences, etc. The only time I will spank without prior warning is if they are doing something which is dangerous to themselves or others. For example, when they have been told about dangers of electric but then I see them about to put a metal fork in an outlet. In those situations, I feel it is necessary, to show them just how bad it would be to do that.
@Jshean20 (14374)
This seems very reasonable to me, thanks for commenting marianne87.
I was beat all the time for most things I did. It was what I know is child abuse now. But,growing up people did not care about that. all they knew was to beat a child for bad behavior. I was beat with belt,tree brances and extention cords.
@Jshean20 (14374)
I know that back in the day there were some extreme measures of disciplining, my parents explained this to me when I was a child. Thanks for commenting.
@krupar5 (287)
Hello Jshean, I am not a believer in spanking but I do agree that in extreme circumstances it is acceptable. I grew up with my parents spanking us if we were bad and I believe because of that we did not get into trouble. I tell my children that I will spank them if they do something that can hurt or endanger someone or themselves. You are also right that if you do hit a child that child services can be called on you.
@Jshean20 (14374)
I also grew up during a time where parents spanked and it did not leave any emotional scars for me. It was only used under extreme circumstances and I probably recieved a spanking maybe 3 times my whole childhood.
@NailTech (6892)
i'm actually surprised to hear this from a 27 yr old cause i thought even during your time it was thought of as "child abuse". it is that way now though cause of the way some people have went overboard with it, you can blame the ones who have actually abused their kids and not just used a small swat. otherwise it would still be acceptable. i for one would choose some other means of discipline anyways. i don't like hitting a child or anyone for that matter, it shows that it is OK to be violent in some kind of way or another. so now if anyone touches their kid lightly they can claim it as something like abuse, even if it is not.
@Jshean20 (14374)
Some people go way overboard with it which is what has caused such an uproar with it. In my day it was pretty common for kids to recieve a spanking, it was only in extreme circumstaces and for most kids it worked and it didn't make you feel less loved.
Honestly I don't believe in physical punishment unless it is the only thing that seems to work for your child. Some children will not improve behavior without it. But I wouldn't use it for everything. Try other punishments and if they don't correct the behavior then maybe move to physical punishment. But if spanking doesn't seem to really be helping, there is no point in continuing it.
@Jshean20 (14374)
I agree that there would be no point in continuing to spank if it's not giving any results, thanks for sharing your opinion.