How do I start looking for a legit home-based job without scams?

I'm a single mom who has been wanting to work at home for a while now. Plus, I would be saving a whole lot in gas money. I've been researching many different things of online jobs. From writing, to office-like work to data entry. I enjoy writing, like poetry and such. I also don't mind writing articles. The only thing is the pay isn't enough. I need something I can do continuously even if I got my work done at night in through the morning hours. I have the dedication, I just don't know how to start. Any help with this is greatly appreciated! :)
@jenny1015 (13389)
There are several sites that offer various jobs with various skills. You can try checking freelancer.com and odesk.com. That is where I used to get my online jobs, from data entry, appointment setting, debt consolidation and lead generation.
@CatGods (4595)
Being that you like writing, you could start by writing articles and posting them on triond, then in a few days re-post them to gather and expert column. You could also try writing articles for other people on sites like odesk, freelancer, textbroker, mturk, fiverr, fivebucker, and peoplestox. And don't rule out creating a niche blog or vblogging.
@CatGods (4595)
And one thing you could do is to start replying to the posters of the discussions that you start. If you do that, you will get more money for your discussion. In todays economy, every penny counts.
@txgrl21 (819)
Hi ShootingStar79! I suggest you stick to trusted work at home websites to find leads. A couple of sites I check out often are wahm and realwaystoearnmoneyonline. There's a lot of information on good and legit websites in a variety of categories and I've found many that work for me, good luck!
@Lucky12 (770)
Well if you like writing then you can try sites that offer a lot of writing like triond and other sites. You can also be on mylot a lot as well if you like to make friends and comment. I love being on here, but writing is one thing that I love doing too. At this time I am not doing much of that, but you can try those sites out and see what happens. I know that they do not give out much just like this one, but if you are willing to put hard work into it you will be able to do a lot more. Good Luck to you.
@julyteen (13259)
• Davao, Philippines
If you spent more time in article writings you will earn a passive income that myLot cannot give. Have you try any article writing sites? I have a legit one whom I work everyday. I seldom visit the site but still I continue earning from different page views
Hello I'm a single mom also I have found a great way to make money online your an independent referr agent I make between $200 al the way up to $500 a day it dependent how long I want to work.. If you interested hit me up on my email myishakee@yahoo.com are any body else it good money. and it pays daily.
I know some genuine websites where you can earn good money by writing, Editing,completing tasks etc.... I really would like to share but I don't know exactly whether I can talk about external sites or not. Ping me.
@kemak28 (738)
Take a look at Amazon Mechanical Turk. I work on it an hour or two a day. You could probably do pretty good on it especially if you have more time then me. They have surveys, writing articles and other tasks that pay decent I think in comparison to other things I have found.
@mariaperalta (19094)
• Mexico
I start by doing a search here at mylot. many great members have posted great ways to earn online here.