A co - worker file for early retirement

United States
April 14, 2013 12:37pm CST
It was a "Happy Retirement" party at Friday afternoon at my work. The email was circulating on the company network early this week, and we all found it shocking that one of our dear co - worker, an engineer who work at the company for over 25 years suddenly file for retirement, he is merely 51 years old as somebody told me. What is the behind his decision we didn't know. But I guess that he must tired of working right now, and he is comfortable with all that money he made and save, so he decided to retired. I wish that I won't need to work until 66 or 70 years to file for retirement. I am happy for him, and I hope that I can make more money in the near future so I can retire early like him.
1 person likes this
10 responses
@bux123 (96)
• India
15 Apr 13
I also like to get retired earlier. Because I can spend remaining time for enjoying. I will more money as possible as in less time, after that I can retire early and enjoy my life.so I like early retirement. I hope I can get early retirement as I expected. I will work hard to get that done. That is one of my dreams in my life. Happy mylotting.
• Mauritius
15 Apr 13
That's a wise thing to do. I have also always thought to take an early retirement in my life, say 50. But for this to happen, saving is very happen. If you have saved enough, you can easily retire early and enjoy life.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
15 Apr 13
Sometimes people retire and dont always tell the reasons why. Is the person ill you think?
• Philippines
15 Apr 13
I'm happy for you co-worker that he decides to file for an early retirement. Seriously, when I grow old I want to retire young. Yes, you can make more money as long as you will start to save at a young age. Start saving while you are young.
@hereandthere (28948)
• Philippines
15 Apr 13
after 25 years in the same company it's understandable. maybe he wants to do something else. maybe it's a family thing. hopefully, he and his loved ones remain healthy, live frugally, no accidents or calamities, or find a source of income he enjoys so the retirement sum will last until he's in his 70s or maybe more.
@ahdorg (32)
• Bhutan
15 Apr 13
from my assumption he is going to work for another higher paying company.
@emily7339 (1340)
• Malaysia
15 Apr 13
Yeah, it would be nice to be able to have early retirement. I believe he had a good sum of money on early retirement benefits . If you have set your goal and work towards it, you may realized your dream goal one day in the future . I wish you all the best !
@ARIES1973 (9534)
• Legaspi, Philippines
15 Apr 13
Given the same situation, I would also want to retire early so that I could still enjoy my retirement benefits at a young age. Actually, if ever I would be able to earn the amount at least equal to the amount I am earning at present with my permanent job from online source, I am more than willing to leave my job. Have a wonderful day!
@gloryacam (5546)
• Philippines
15 Apr 13
In 25 years, if he spent his money wisely and saved much, then he has done good. When I was a lot younger, I wanted to retire at age 40! Oh, but I had not learned, nor nobody has taught me how to. And, in my early 20's I really did not have stable jobs and did not manage money wisely. But, I have mended my ways, and try to save as much as I can. You can, too, you know. Read financial help books. I am currently reading "The Richest Man in Babylon" and there are lots of things to be learned there, like, pay your self at least 10% every payday (meaning, save at least 10%). And then, stretch out the remaining 90% so that is covers all your expenses (so, no living beyond your means). Also, if you can, invest your money so that your money could earn you money. I prefer mutual funds and unit investment trust funds. At least, that way, my money earns much bigger than it would if it were just deposited in the bank. etc, etc... There are many more things to learn out there. If you can't buy books, or just don't want to read, there are a lot of financial blogs that you can learn from.
@Cutie18f (9564)
• Philippines
14 Apr 13
Well, he must have been offered a good sum. That is always the case.