A Change of Online Routine

By Val
@valmnz (13269)
New Zealand
Sometimes life priorities mean that online life is affected and such is the case for me at the moment. I found myLot was interfering with my other offline writing proects that are important to me. So, starting this morning I have chosen to not come online until toward the end of the day, when all the things I need to do have been attended to for the day. It has certainly worked well for me today. This does mean I won't be interacting in real time with some of the mylotters I have come to know well in my mornings. But I don't see that as a problem. I'm still here, just once a day instead of twice and at a different time from usual. I'm feeling extremely pleased with what I managed to achieve today and hope I can continue in such a way. Or, will the lure of myLot be too much for me to resist in the mornings? Have you found you need to reassess your priorities and do the sensible things when it comes to interacting here? Or, are you fortunate enough to spend as much time as you like in this little world?
its always best to tend to real life, coz this'un'll always be there. i dislike t.v. 'n 'ave troubles readin' books these days, so when i've down time 'n 'm in the mood, i'll come 'n visit. jest enjoy yerself, k?
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I don't watch much TV either, so my evenings will be spent between here and reading books.
@valmnz 'r ya could jest hop through the puter screen 'n help me put this darned bindin' on my latest sewin' disaster,
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
@crazyhorseladycx if you knew my sewing capabilities, or lack of them, you wouldn't be asking that question!
@NeldaHoxie (1388)
I make my living working online, so that's not possible. I just try and be focused so that I can have a life beyond the screen.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I spend a lot of online time with our business too, but myLot time needed to be reduced.
@sofssu (18520)
We all need to find a balance, our priorities helps us achieve that .. I haven't been able to be here so much myself the last few days because I am caught up with life .. I prefer to come here to relax a bit an get back to stuff in real life. But each to his own.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
Sometimes we get caught up with the novelty of something new as I did here initially. Now it's time to step back a little.
@fufurinha (11517)
• Portugal
Now I don't have much time to spend here online.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
So that makes it even better when you do get here.
@fufurinha (11517)
• Portugal
@valmnz Sometimes it is not that good (when I have so many notifications that I think I will die here answering to everything)
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
@fufurinha it doesn't hurt occasionally to move forward, rather than try and catch up with everything.
I have to work mylot around my work already, it only cuts into chore time sometimes. Which is when I institute the, get up once an hour and do 15 min of chore rule.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I'm the other way round when I work like that, do the chore then reward myself with 10 mins here.
@valmnz Im pretty tired on my days off, so I end up doing little, and have to force myself to adult
I only have certain times of the day that I can sit quietly and be online as I have other obligations that need tending to during the day, So, I don't have unlimited time to spend online
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I really don't either, and I was slipping into bad habits.
@bluesa (15242)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
No, I also have to finish all I need to do before I can get anywhere near the site, that is why I am usually on at midnight or after. But at least we're still here, doing what we can, when we can and enjoying it.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
Oh my gosh, I'm asleep long before midnight!
@scheng1 (24741)
Yes, that is a good plan. If you login to mylot, you are not likely to have the motivation to do your "real" work. Mylot is a distraction to work, but it is a very nice way to relax after a long day of work. I think the informality here is a draw, plus the interaction with people from all over the world.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I find it just as easy to walk away as I do getting hooked in the first place.
I'm fortunate in that I can come and go exactly as I please, but real life still takes precedence.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I probably do too, as my time is very flexible and the book is really a two year project. But I found I was spending far too much time here.
I had to set priorities, because when I start to type at my computer I do not see the hours pass. Now, first thing in the morning, I take care of the house and personal chores. I come online for a couple of hours then I stop again to take care of other important things and I come back late in the afternoon, after everything is done.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I know that feeling. Also writing on here seemed to be deadening my brain to the more creative thinking needed for my book writing. Today I wrote for two hours with ease and was pretty pleased with the end result.
Sometimes you just have to rearrange everything until it works out for you.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I agree. My previous morning routine was getting in the way of the rest of my day.
@wiLLmaH (8246)
• Singapore, Singapore
When there is something I need to accomplish, I always stay away of my phone and laptop. Haha. It consumes me frantically.
I'm an early person ... once we get beyond 3 pm I don't come on here much because then it's dinner and tv, etc.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I'm on here earlier today than yesterday as I've had a good day, even got into the garden. I don't watch much TV, this takes its place.
@valmnz I need TV to clear my head and my eyes after the computer.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
@AbbyGreenhill I do sudoku puzzles
@rosekiss (30258)
• Eugene, Oregon
What you are doing is a good thing. I haven't been able to get away from here yet, as I have been so busy trying to catch up on the discussions that I need to take care of, all the notifications, and the suggestionst too. I find this site so much fun that it is very difficult to get away, for any length of time, but I do take breaks now and again, get a few things done, and then come back.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I've decided not to let it rule my life, as it was in danger of doing.
@rosekiss (30258)
• Eugene, Oregon
@valmnz I agree with you there, as that would be very easy to do, since mylot is a great site, and I am sure we all feel that we would like to stay and do more, but we all have lives outside of mylot.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
@rosekiss stepping away is becoming easier as the weather gets warmer and the days longer here down in New Zealand.
@dodo19 (34311)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
We all have duties that don't involve being on my lot and such. We have things to do, errands to run, ... You should do whatever works best for you.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
and the new routine does seem to be working. I wrote this as I had been interacting a lot with a few people who are around during my morning time.
@dodo19 (34311)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@valmnz glad to hear that your new routine is working. I hope it stays that way.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
@dodo19 so far so good
And I just joined last night! Good to see you. And yes, I find I have many other commitments that tie up my hands, so to speak. I like your idea.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
Nice to see you here Dianne. I've been here about a month.
@valmnz I love that you are here!
@softbabe44 (5899)
• Vancouver, Washington
well the thing is that you made time for everything you had to do thats the difference when it comes to ta do list
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
Sometimes I thnk I need 48 hours in a day!
• Vancouver, Washington
@valmnz that would probably give you the time you need
I am more organisid now and attend to chores that need to be done. I have time to be here too and that is ,my relaxation and time to have fun.
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
Now that our weather is getting warmer again I find I'm less inclined to be on the computer - just at a time when northern hemisphere members are probably inside more and spending more time here.
@Ankitas (78)
well, i think real life is thousand times interesting than online life......meeting people face to face and talking to them will make anybody happier than chatting the same person on a device....that's my opinion.....
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
I agree, it's far more natural. But then again, there are some pretty interesting people here.
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
Sometimes I feel guilty because I don't write on here as much as I would like. I agree when I do come online it can take up half my day and then I don't do as much as I should be doing in my 'real world'
@valmnz (13269)
• New Zealand
It's difficult finding a balance, isn't it!