If you don't believe in God, how do you celebrate Christmas?

@danny1971 (1749)
Church Hill, Tennessee
Ok... So, I'm just curious of how do people that don't believe in God, How do they celebrate Christmas. Christmas is a season for Christianity, and is celebrated by the birth of Jesus Christ.
@msiduri (5749)
What we now refer to as Christmas has a long heritage drawn from pagan religions, e.g., the Roman Saturnalia, the Yule celebrations of pagan northern Europe. (One of these customs is the Christmas tree). The Persian god Mithras was born on Dec. 25. It is instructive to recall that there are no biblical commandments to commemorate Jesus's birth. The celebrations are cultural, not religious, and certainly not specifically Christian. A Christian can MAKE them religious, of course. That is the person's choice, but it is not the history of the holiday. But as to your question, I celebrate by getting together with family and friends. Those who live too far away, I send them cards or call them. Another year goes by and I want to catch up with everyone.
@sallypup (27505)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Thank you @msiduri. You said very well what I was thinking- everything but the family thing.
• Exeter, England
You basically typed out what I would of said! Thanks. A lot of things have nothing to do with religion, take for example the Christmas tree dates back to Western Germany in the 16th century. They were called "Paradeisbaum" (paradise trees) and were brought into homes to celebrate the annual Feast of Adam and Eve on DEC-24. They were first brought to America by German immigrants about the year 1700.
@Rohvannyn (3118)
I used to celebrate the Winter Solstice instead.
@msiduri (5749)
The winter solstice is a nice thing! Especially in the northern latitudes. More sunshine on the way.
I believe in God but know this idea that Christ was born in December is the religious nonsense many people get sucked into; while I have a funnier way of celebrating the 'saint nicholas' theory in which Santa Caus delivers rewards for the nice kids and coal for the naughty is more appropriate !
Change the letters in the name Santa and you get satan.
@antonbunot (9486)
• Calgary, Alberta
Those who do not believe in God or Christ are either atheists or members of other religions. They don't celebrate Christmas . . If you invite them, they come to celebrate what you got on the table.
Christ is separate and actually not even relevant to the discussion of Atheism as that is defined as not believing in the organized biblical reference to a God (not a son born to rid humanity of its sins . . .) also illogical but cultural and only Biblical as far as weighed in empirical value
@FourWalls (14170)
I disagree that Christmas is a season "for Christianity." Christmas is a federal holiday, and there is certainly enough of the season that is completely secular in nature to appeal to the non-Christian. I don't celebrate Jesus' birthday on December 25 because He wasn't born then, but that doesn't mean that I don't love the lights and the decorations.
Ah want to hug you @FourWalls for being another intellect who realizes Jesus was NOT born in December !
@PrarieStyle (2495)
If you do believe in God, why do you celebrate Christmas? He wasn't born on Dec. 25th. But it is the birthday of many Pagan gods. The Bible doesn't say to celebrate His birth. The Bible does say that we are to "divorce ourselves" from pagan traditions and it says not to bring a tree in the house and decorate it like the pagans do. You have to figure if pagans and non-believers celebrate it, it's not for us Christians, we're supposed to be different, set apart from the world. I don't do Christmas anymore.
None of us really know when GOD was born and as far as Jesus he was not born in December either but culture has really offered up what religion could never prove yet still people celebrate the holiday with such fervent misinformation !
• Greece
@enlightenedpsych2 Yes we celebrate, we go to church on Christmas morning, we think about the baby lying in the manger, we sing the carols we love and we go home and celebrate with a feast of turkey and all the trimmings. The date is of no account, but the Gift that God gave is worthy of celebration. It is wonderful being a Christian we are in a win/win situation. I can recommend it.
Okay it is one way to get a mass of people together but the birth of Christ and him being the son of God to rid the world of sin is just in the Christian Bible which as far as I learned was re-written by some guy named Constantine who decided it was easier to use deceit than fact to control many minds of one thing: a savior was given to free the people from wrong doing. It is a story not a strict rule. I understand how many people would fall victim to believing something they need no proof for, it is just faith they lean on and accept. Thanks for sharing @41CombedaleRoad
@ria1606roy (2683)
• Kolkata, India
I don't think there is any hard fact established that Jesus was born on 25th December. I am not a Christian and even I celebrate it, because it is a cultural tradition coming down through the centuries. 25th Dec was chosen for celebrating the advent of Christ only because there was already an established holiday on that day, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to make people follow this new religion. Christmas tree is also part of this cultural celebration, as stated correctly by @msiduri
@sallypup (27505)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Before Christianity there was another faith and way of being. I celebrate that partially and cause my Mom is with us now, more sentimental Christmas stuff.
That is one thing I could never understand myself.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Not everyone who believes in God is a Christian and many don't celebrate Christmas at all. The meaning has got lost to many anyway because Christmas has become so commercialised.
we all have our way in celebrating Christmas.