Pickle juice in recipes!

@ricki_911 (16145)
Toronto, Ontario
I was reading online awhile back about using pickle juice leftover in the jar. I finished my pickles yesterday, so today I poured some into my homemade soup this afternoon while it was in the crokpot. It turned out very nicely, supposeable the south US do this often with different recipes. I am not sure about adding it to my cookies, and such. Do you use pickle juice for anything?
@Raelove (14574)
• Saco, Maine
I never have. But if there's still a lot leftover in the jar, I keep adding sliced cucumbers to it till it's used up. I have friends who also add it to potato salad and cole slaw, where they say it adds to the sweetness.
@ricki_911 (16145)
• Toronto, Ontario
I never thought of that either. I will try that as well. I have about 3 jars worth right now. I usually just compost it but started looking into it a few months ago.
@Raelove (14574)
• Saco, Maine
@ricki_911 Don't peel the cucumbers, just slice them real thin and add some thinly-sliced onions, too. I use either pickling or European cukes so I don't have to peel them. Let them sit for a few days, and they soak in the pickle juice flavor, although it's milder. I love it.
@ricki_911 (16145)
• Toronto, Ontario
@Raelove Good to know as I do have cucumbers to use. But I do grab some while they are on the clearance rack.
My daughter always loved drinking pickle juice. I never cared for it. I guess I would try it. It is probably good for us.
• Minneapolis, Minnesota
I drink the pickle juice, its so good. I never thought of using it cooking though, great idea.