Sneezing until your ribs hurt

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
I've been sneezing a lot the last couple of days. I don't think its allergies, but whatever the reason, I've been afflicted with a tingly nose and fits of sneezing. And it's getting old. It's not just that repeatedly having the urge to sneeze is uncomfortable. The real problem is that after a while, all that sneezing gets to your ribs. Now, in addition to the sneeze itself, you have rib pain because of the build up of pressure that goes with the sneeze. And what really makes it bad is that you can't make yourself not sneeze! No matter how much you may dread it hurting your ribs, sooner or later, that sneeze is going to come out. So far it hasn't been too bad. My ribs are making me aware of their presence with every sneeze, but they haven't gotten nasty about it yet. I'm hoping my sneezing gives out before my ribs do.
Have you considered a sinus or upper respiratory infection? I've had a mild infection before and had the same problem.
• Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
This came on after a day of mulching leaves, with the wind whipping leaf dust into the air. I'm not sure what that may have caused.
@RonElFran It may be that the wind and leaf dust triggered an allergic reaction! I am allergic to house dust and if the level gets high enough I have had similar reactions.
You might be allergic to something. Or it could be a sinus issue too.
• Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
I haven't really been bothered with allergies. As I mentioned to BernieZ, I breathed in leaf dust a few days ago. May be related to that.
@rhpinc (1149)
• Santa Barbara, California
Haven't done that with sneezing, but have with coughing tho ...
• Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
I can imagine coughing might even be worse, with your throat getting raw as well as ribs hurting.
@rhpinc (1149)
• Santa Barbara, California
@RonElFran It is that time of year for me when I get sicker then anything known to man, and that is what is going on right now... :(
I know what it's like to sneeze with broken or bruised ribs, but I've never sneezed so much it caused my ribs to hurt. I hope you stop sneezing soon.
• Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
You and me both, @just4him! It has been better today, but I'm still sneezing.
Maybe the carpets or air filters need cleaned, or you could be getting sick! Sneezing after awhile starts hurting yeah
• Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
I'm feeling a bit better and hopefully this is passing.
that is so weird there.Same here.Every time I come home from the club.I have a sneezing jag and nose is running like a faucet.Not sure if anything in my office that I am allergic to? but I do have a cold.This may be the culprit.
• Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
A cold would do it!
Actually something kinda scary happened to me last week-I sneezed and my ear drum popped...for at least 10 mins the room literally felt like it was spinning and I ended up laying on the floor almost passed out. Actually I think I might have-it was...a really horrible sensation.
@thesids (22455)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Probably there is some dust around and you are allergic to it. If I may recommend, use a mask something similar to what the surgeons wear before they operate. It might help you identify if it (the sneezing) has/had anything to do with dust around. Though the better approach would be to consult your doctors (though I know many, including me, who do not like to visit them).
When I had pneumonia I coughed until my ribs hurts. You probably have a cold. I take Alka-Seltzer Cold Plus and it really helps.
@dodoazo (8239)
Have you referred it to your family doctor? Better see him before it is too late. Once a sneeze persists, the possible culprit is allergy.
@suzzy3 (8400)
Make sure you don't have a chest infection.
• Dayton, Ohio
My ribs are quite nasty. Mine have been hurting for nearly two weeks. Sadly, my doctor told me this heals slowly. You might try holding a pillow to your chest to help prevent further pain.
@sherryeb (587)
• Duncan, Arizona
I know someone who sneezes just after he eats every time. It is a peculiarity, the doctors cannot figure it out. Like you he says if he sneezes too much it hurts his ribs.
I haven't had this happen to me thankfully.
@nanette64 (12423)
• Fairfield, Texas
Dust particles and allergens will attach to the hairs in the nose @RonElFran . The best way to cleanse those nose hairs is by using what's called a Nettie Pot. It looks like a Tea Pot. You fill the pot with the liquid it comes with; tilt your head to one side as you place the Nettie Pot spigot in one nostril. As you pour the liquid, it flushes all the nasties from the nasal cavities and the hair out. Repeat on the other nostril.
• Preston, England
my mum once sneezed so hard she broke two ribs - she has brittle bones but that was intense even for her