MyLot - A Great Place to generate Ideas for an Article?

A Passing Thought
@pgiblett (6619)
I have been thinking about this for a little while now and have to say that for a writer the greatest challenge is face a blank page or come to a dead halt on an idea they are writing about. It therefore occurs to me that one of the ways you can overcome that proverbial "brick wall" is to put down as much of your idea as you can in writing, or perhaps ask a question then let others respond. The thing is this need not purely be about something you are writing, but also may relate to other ideas. The point being that it is possible to use certain aspects of that discussion to enhance what you are thinking about. This is all about idea development and often someone who trashes your idea points at an alternative approach that can lead you forward. Thoughts? Ideas?
That's what this site is all about - putting your ideas down, perhaps asking a question and hoping that others respond.
@pgiblett (6619)
And the response should then provide you with more ideas.
@pgiblett That's true a lot of the time
@HanVanMeegerin Oh yes, I've seen that too - they could easily find out from another source, it's as if they can't think of anything to write about.
@Bluedoll (16829)
When you say article I'm not quite sure what you mean? Where for example would the new article that gets created go? I suspect the answer to that is anywhere you want to write. I have a blog for example. After reading a topic on myLot I can see how a post could generate a really thought provoking article on my blog. But what about copyright or ethics? I don't see that as any kind of issue at all, myself.
@pgiblett (6619)
@Bluedoll The is no issue about copyright, not to my mind. Mr Van Meegerin had a bee in his bonnet about recognising ideas. What he failed to understand is that his idea, let's call it 'proposition A' triggers an fresh idea in me, lets call that 'proposition B'. They are both different ideas but the truth is ideas develop and change.
@pgiblett (6619)
@Bluedoll I love those ideas that become side-projects of their own. I not them down in Evernote ready for another day.
@Bluedoll when do you feel, if ever, it is necessary to cite a source or provide a link to an article that specifically inspired a new post of your own?
@pgiblett just remember to properly cite the source.
@pgiblett (6619)
Of course that is true if you take a substantive quote, but their is no copyright on an idea, the idea once freed can be used by anyone who cares to use it.
@pgiblett not copyright protected, but if you got the idea from somewhere you should still cite the source, regardless of whether you quote it or not.
@pgiblett (6619)
@HanVanMeegerin In the education environment then I would have to agree any idea whether big or small would have to recognised. This is rare though for non-academic material. A major idea should always be recognised and cited but it is rare for minor ones to be cited and even rarer for law suites to be raised over this issue.
@poehere (17793)
• French Polynesia
OK what aspects of what discussion. The one you have written to help you find the rest of an article you are currently working on? Or would it be another topic here that you use the topic plus the comments as part of your work you are writing now? Like a discussion I just posted today. it states that nobody has an original idea. Everyone is inspired by something around them. I can see taking inspiration and being inspired to write a paper of your own. What I can't see is taking this person's idea and transcribing the words and usiong it to write your paper. However, if a certain comment hit a nerve and got you thinking of something else by all means use it and run with it.
@pgiblett (6619)
@poehere I disagree with the concept that "nobody has an original idea". It is true that "few people have original ideas," but those that do have original ideas should be encouraged.
@pgiblett I believe that people can have original ideas. @poehere it is being advocated here by @pgiblett, that a person could have utilized your post of yesterday and made something of their own. Though it could be distinctive, yet no less inspired by yours no cite or link back to you would be necessary. I feel that this is wrong.
@poehere (17793)
• French Polynesia
@HanVanMeegerin He was slightly confusing in all of this. As for original ideas they come from around us. Like one post I did here about raindrops. I went around my yard taking pictures after it rained. Then I wrote a post on it. That is an original idea inspired by the rain. So yes you can come up with some of your own ideas. the post your are talking about was inspired by comments here on the site asking how to use this site. So you see there is always ways to find something to write about without stealing from others.
@bunnybon7 (34480)
• Holiday, Florida
absolutely. mylot is great for that.
• Preston, England
I have several ideas and recurring features themes to work from - writer's block has never been an issue for me mercifully
@pgiblett (6619)
I have an electronic notebook full of writing ideas, BUT every once in a while the thought stream does come to an end and that is where it is great to bounce ideas off others.
• Preston, England
@pgiblett always good to in touch with other writers - sites like this are perfect for that
@pgiblett (6619)
@arthurchappell Community and interaction is so important.
@gudheart (12775)
I think this is a great vacuum full of ideas and learning tools. I have learned new things about different cultures etc just from reading simple short posts on here :D
@pgiblett (6619)
@gudheart Learning is important.
@gudheart (12775)
@pgiblett It really is. Welcome to this site, are you new?
@pgiblett (6619)
@gudheart I am not new I have been here for quite a few years, I simply logged back in last week and started contributing again.
@else34 (13636)
• New Delhi, India
@pgiblett,I agree with you.Mylot has been a source of ideas for me too.Sometimes when my mind is blank,I start reading posts here and ideas come pouring in from nowhere.
@pgiblett (6619)
To my mind that is the advantage of the social web.
@else34 (13636)
• New Delhi, India
@pgiblett So true.It's the advantage with social media.
@dodoazo (14634)
You are in your sane mind, but getting myLot as a source of ideas to generate may sound indeterminate. What I am going to drive at is the quality of ideas. Take a good look of the titles of the posted here and you will know what I mean.
@pgiblett (6619)
@dodoazo I agree that quality of ideas is very important, the human may have thousands of ideas in any given day and the truth is we can only act on a small percentage of them. You never know where they may come from or which idea will become useful, but you instinctively know which must be worked on. I believe discussion of core concepts is often necessary. Sites like MyLot prove you don't have to work alone.
@dodoazo (14634)
@pgiblett That is true...we start a topic or idea for everybody to interact. No one interacts. No one earns credits.
Sometimes it's hard to find a topic for a discussion. When I think of one I write it down because I'm very forgetful.
@pgiblett (6619)
Good thought, but I have to say that most of my topic ideas go down in my Evernote notebook.
@ricki_911 (18259)
• Toronto, Ontario
I find writing the idea down, and then coming here to ask a question, or sum up opinions on it.
@pgiblett (6619)
I collect ideas from a lot of places, I also research a lot of places - the point is sometimes you have to throw an idea into the air to see how well is sticks.
@lokisdad (4284)
This sure is a good place to do just that it's the most interactive sure I've found in a while.