Food Prices Expenced to Rise In 2016 in Canada.

This is primarily due to the falling value of the Canadian dollar and increased import costs. An average increase of 4 percent overall. Mainly in meat: fruits : vegetables. These are basic food groups and with a large increase in their costs it will make it harder for people struggling to afford them. I believe the government should step in and offer a rebate to people earning under a certain level of income. Say under 30,000 net income could qualify. What are your thoughts on this?
@shshiju (10494)
• Cochin, India
That is one of our basic needs. Its not good to rise the prices.
@scheng1 (24800)
It is hard to implement. It will take a lot of administrative work to find out who earns more or less, and you have to think about the number of children in a housework too. I think a better way is to give gas rebate. If they get a rebate of $4 for every $100 charged to gas, they will have saved 4%. This money can go towards food expenses.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Food prices here in the U.S. continue to rise. I went to the supermarket yesterday and noticed regular cucumbers are 99 cents each, which is up from 69 cents. One of the reasons for that is that much of our produce this time of year comes from the west coast, where the drought continues to produce so-called shortages. Looks like a trip to the Oriental market is on the agenda for this week. Their prices are always low.
@AnneEJ (5013)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
You are right, prices certainly have gone up. I try to take advantage of all the specials, and maximize the points offered by Loblaws stores. Last year I was able to get over $200 in free groceries from their points and have quite a few built up again.
@softbabe44 (5902)
• Vancouver, Washington
I agree that it should be looked into.
@pgiblett (6595)
Our fruit and vegetable prices have risen during the Christmas break. If the government provided a rebate it would have to be based on total family income.