Random Word Post – medlar

Brookville, Pennsylvania
I find a random word by flipping through my 2003 The New Webster’s Concise Dictionary and write a quick – often silly – little post about it. # “1. A small tree related to the apple. 2. Its hard, bitter fruit, edible when it begins to decay.” I think I’ll pass on a slice of medlar pie. It makes you wonder how they figured out it was edible. You’d think they’d try it when it was ripe, only to discover it wasn’t good. Who drew the short straw for, “Try this. It’s been rotting for a week, see if it’s edible now.”
@pgiblett (6595)
When I first saw this word I thought it was to meddle, to involve oneself in a matter without right or invitation; interfere officiously and unwontedly. While it has a similar sound it is clearly quite distinct. Can't say I have heard it in relation to apples, the description sounds like what we used to call crab apples.