Magical Mystery Mushrooms
January 18, 2016 10:39am CST
I love roses and have two Double Delight Hybrid Tea roses planted in my front courtyard. Yesterday morning I saw these two mushrooms have decided to live there too. I have never seen mushrooms this shape before and have no idea how or why they appeared. Perhaps they like the soil and growing conditions. This morning, I noticed that they have magically changed their shape. The tubular form has transformed into the little parasol tops that I am used to seeing on mushrooms. They have also turned from the creamy white color they were yesterday to a darker hue, with an deep black ring around the edges of their round tops. I live in suburbia and not a wooded forest. I am unaccustomed to seeing this type of mushroom. We occasionally have tiny white mushrooms show up in damp flower beds, but not giants like these. Anyone know what they are, why they grew and if they are edible? Not to worry, I would never eat a plant that just showed up on its own. I am far too careful about what I eat to do so; even if someone told me this is edible, and they gather them all the time. I’m just curious. Don’t they need something to get them started, a spore or seed?
23 people like this
• Daytona Beach, Florida
18 Jan 16
@ElizabethWallace have no idea about these mushroom but we get mushrooms growing in our garden and they are definitely edible. Perhaps they are the Alice in Wonderland type of mushrooms that you eat to get larger and smaller.
• Saco, Maine
18 Jan 16
I can't tell you if they're edible or not, but I can tell you that they got there one of two ways: a spore was transported to the spot by a bird, an insect, the rain, or the wind; or the mushrooms are part of an underground network of root tissue that can run hundreds of feet and, in some cases, miles. The mushrooms are simply part of the reproductive piece of the entire organism, and the only part that is visible above ground. Your soil must be very rich in organic matter for them to decide to pop out there.
• Bunbury, Australia
19 Jan 16
@ElizabethWallace I read a book called Fields of Noon by Sheila Burnford and it was the first time I'd ever realised that mushrooms other than the one sort I knew about could be non-poisonous. Here's a photo of some pretty toadstools. It was taken in Ireland.
19 Jan 16
There must be spores and hyphae of this fungus in your courtyard,which looks like Anellaria semiovata that can cause illusion if you eat it . The part shaped like parasol is its fruiting body . Photo credit: baidu.com
21 Jan 16
I would never risk giving any recommendation as mushroom needs to be handeled with kid gloves so to say. Most I am told are poisonous. I only know of two - button and oyster which are cultured. We did try to grow the oyster variety and met with pretty good success.