Fridays come along faster as I get older

@Inlemay (17323)
South Africa
TGIF - Kalimera That is the acronym for 'Thank Goodness its Friday' which seems to be the Acronym of the day, every week on Fridays? Duh - Yes! To me Fridays come around a lot faster than they did when I was younger. As a teenager we would wish our weeks away till Friday because Friday was Disco night and the start of a week-end having fun with friends. Week-ends were made up of Disco, Picnics, Drive-in Movies or Cinema, Braai (Barbecue) and Big Family Sunday Lunches . . . do you remember? At my mature age I give great thought to Greece on my Fridays, its my lasting memory of wonderful lapping waters along the shoreline of the Aegean Sea. To Katerina sitting somewhere having coffee with a friend - How is your teenager doing? Kalimera my dear friend! What are your fondest memories of Fridays as a Teenager? Have a wonderful Friday everyone !
I used to work on Friday nights when I was a teenager.
@silvermist (15677)
@Inlemay I too think Friday has arrived very soon.When I was a teenager,we did not have discos or anything.But I did wish for it because I used to spend time reading books from the library.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
@silvermist Friday did a short cut this week
When I was very young my parents would not let me go out at night and in the afternoon I had school lessons. I met with friends when I was around 18, we went windows shopping in the center of the city and usually ate a pizza before going back home.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
that sounds very proper - My youngest was that kind of teenager, but my other two went out with friends to school parties from age 16
@Inlemay My brother went out to parties when he was 16, but I was not allowed Italian "women discrimination".
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
@LadyDuck that is discrimination - the men always get away with everything - They should have given the WOMB to them!!
I lived on a farm so hanging out with friends wasn't an option. I mostly rode my pony and caught up on chores which I was responsible for.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
we had friends from the farms that were weekly boarders and had them over now and then - they were the wild ones - so farming kids are not as plain jane as they say . . But you are sure making up for doing chores as a young girl - the traveling you do is fantastic. Our RAND is not getting us anywhere abroad at the moment so all that kind of travel is on HOLD
@Inlemay The dollar isn't doing too well either.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
@JudyEv Your Oz dollar or the US dollar
@Platespinner (18055)
Friday afternoons I would stop by the library on my way home from school and check out a stack of books to read over the weekend--I never was much of a party girl.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
you sound like my youngest - she is 23 ans asked me to buy her the Harry Potter Series - I ask you, She is busy with all the Dan Brown books at the moment - loves to read but doesnt want a Kindle - I did ask
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
@Platespinner i shall tell her all the pro's - maybe for her birthday - which is around the corner, she might like a kindle
I had a stack of books to read all of the time too. But I did like to go out with my friends.
Thank God it's Friday and, as a teenager partying probably.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
I hope you did some partying
@xFiacre (10364)
@inlemay A braai by the pool was always a fitting beginning to the week end when I was a young teenager. Now it's not just the weeks that fly past but the years roll past rather quickly too.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
I feel that as well . . do you think we are just so busy to stop and HOLD time still a while?
@xFiacre (10364)
@Inlemay @inlemay Being able to stop and savour life is a trick not many have mastered. I love to just stop and appreciate the smells and colours of life and I don't care if that causes a bit of a traffic jam.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
@xFiacre I wish i could slow my hubby down - he is always in a race to get to a place and then when we are barely there, he is already looking at the date and time of return. Drives me crazy - life passes faster when I am with him . .
@salonga (27973)
As a teenager, I really did not have the habit of going on Friday nights but I always look forward to it because I could sleep longer and then in the morning I could join my Mom in going to the market and then after that I could help her in the kitchen and would learn some cooking tips and techniques from her.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
ahhh those late sleep in were also the best - I dont think I have had a late morning in almost 40 years - how sad is that
@salonga (27973)
@Inlemay that is really sad.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Not sure about as a teenager - winter months meeting my friends down town Friday night for coffee, dancing classes with the boys from the local boarding school. But, in summer, I usually had a swimming carnival to compete in on Saturday, so Friday nights were early nights.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
Good Morning Val - Ahh the week-end swimming gala's - those I remember too but I stopped swimming at age 14 so it didnt hamper my teenage years - ha ha ha or misspent youth
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
@Inlemay seems funny you saying good morning, it's 8 pm Friday here
School was out for the weekend. Though I loved school, I loved the weekend off. I never did anything special on weekends or Fridays.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
I loved school as well - but being off on the friday seemed to be a care-free feeling
@Inlemay Exactly. I didn't worry about homework until Sunday night.
TGIS is mine, fridays are day 2 for me, not day 5
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
we have a strange week then
Friday nights when I was a teen was more like Happy Days..we'd go to the drive-in movie and then for burgers & soda
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
ahhh those were the happy days
I still look forward to Friday and the weekend.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
Yes - its the start to fun
@JESSY3236 (4885)
It seems like years and months go quicker too when you are older.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
its not fair - age then progresses faster
@alchemistrx (2591)
I think i party on friday nights when i was a teenager.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
sounds like a normal thing to do
@WorDazza (8377)
• Manchester, England
I'm hoping that once I'm able to give up work that life (and time) will slow down. I think that getting out of bed when I feel like it, spending days out walking the dog and enjoying long leisurely lunches will all help to make things seem a lot more serene.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
there doesnt seem to be any easing up of life and time - does it?
@garymarsh6 (12103)
It was and still is the start of the weekend for me. Yippee. Enjoy your road trip I bet you are excited and raring to go now!
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
Oh I am - its still a few days to go - we depart on the 6th Feb - so time to get all the vehicle permits from the banks and insurance as well as our LW&T sorted in the event something serious happens - doubtful
I totally agree with you! Friday is so much quicker now than when I was in school. Fridays would be, movie night or playing pool.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
I like your Fridays nights as a teenager - it should always be fun and a child
• Japan
Hm, Friday as a teenager was too long ago to remember. I liked school and church and all my music lessons and was not much of a partyer so probably I was practicing. These days, Friday evenings are often concert days. Saturday is my day off and it's time to nap!
• Indianapolis, Indiana
I feel the same way. In fact, it's now Friday as I make this comment. and I thought it was Thursday
@fearjp (305)
Fridays are really the best days and I also do remember when it would go so slow back when I was young. I think if it was when I was young, right now should've been like Wednesday or something. On my Fridays when I was young was either a burger or popcorn alone at my house (or with my parents of course) and watching my even younger moment movie as my childhood. Right its like meh, I can't drink so I just sit around and see what I can do that I can't do any of the other nights.