The zoo is outside my door.

This little guy was going at a good clip when I took his picture.
@akalinus (12739)
I live in a zoo. We have the normal cats and dogs. There are bunnies that like to frolic in large groups across the street. We have squirrels, also. The gopher tortoises live in holes on the edge of the property. We have Sand Hill Cranes wandering about, sometimes looking in windows. They squawk a lot and are very noisy. There are cowbird egrets, curlews and other large birds. Every year, a crazy mocking bird pecks on the roof. I also hear a woodpecker for hours every day. Sometimes, wild chickens play around in the edge of the woods. A friend adopted one. She fed it corn and it laid eggs in her golf cart. Wild boars also live nearby. I hear cows mooing, a donkey braying and roosters crowing. I love the animals around here. Do you have a zoo outside your door?
@cherriefic (4303)
• Baguio, Philippines
That is a great place to live as you are with the nature! I used to live in a zoo when I was a kid cause my Dad likes to have a lot of animals around. I kinda miss that.
You're so lucky .... well, except for the wild boars, I've heard they can be dangerous. My home is in a desert area so mostly what I will see aside from mourning doves, sparrows and grackles are lizards if I'm out at dawn or dusk in the warm months. I know we have a ground squirrel or maybe it's a rabbit because it has pulled up every plant I've tried to grow but luckily has left the trees alone.
@akalinus (12739)
I have not seen the wild boars but have heard stories about them from people living on the next road over.
I wouldn't want them close to my home @akalinus I've heard they are unpredictable and will attack for no reason, but then I've never actually seen one either so I'm not even sure how big these kritters get.
@akalinus (12739)
@rebelann I have heard that sometimes people shoot them and load up the freezer.
I live in the big city. The only critters I see are coyotes, raccoons, possums, squirrels, You actually have wild tortoises living on your property? Awesome.
• Pensacola, Florida
@johnroberts Ew possums
@lexiconlover Possums are creepy.
• Pensacola, Florida
@JohnRoberts Esoeciallu when you find them in your kitchen.
OOoh very cool looking turtle, what type is that ? Thanks for sharing your menagerie with us @akalinus
@akalinus (12739)
We have mostly tortoises around here. This one is much smaller than other ones I have seen so maybe he is turtle. I am not sure what this little one is but he moves very fast.
@akalinus well if he moves fast it might be a tortoise, I read they are better at motivating movement with speed . . .
Do you have reptiles too? I have created a forest around me and that is what visitors here say to me (LOL) And this forest has invited monkeys, peacocks, wild cats, snakes, squirrels and countless birds.
@akalinus (12739)
I forgot to mention the many different lizards and geckos running around here. There are snakes, too. The geckos get in my house and hang upside down on the wall by my desk and watch me on the computer.
@akalinus Lizards do that. They greet me every single morning (lol)
@okodoko (200)
The more the animals the better. But you need to be spacious to do that.
@akalinus (12739)
I don't have any of my own. I just enjoy the ones all around.
@softbabe44 (5925)
• Vancouver, Washington
No I didn't get that lucky but you can still hear the birds and frogs.
@alchemistrx (2584)
Theres a lot of animals on the garden i dont know. I do know dogs,cats,roosters, and hens.
@Scindhia (1971)
• Chennai, India
Only cows and dogs outside here. But inside the house? we do have a zoo
If I did my garden would be no more! I'm glad you enjoy all those creatures.
We only have a bit of wildlife in the summer months. We have a little toad that comes back each summer, or maybe it his brother, who knows? We always have lots of birds. Our dog Molly keeps most wildlife away plus we have a 6-foot wooden fence surrounding the yard which keeps critters out.
We have a pet sheep and lots of kangaroos and birds. The kangaroos are silent but the birds and Herc make a bit of noise/music from time to time.
@akalinus (12739)
How interesting! Just one pet sheep? I have never seen a kangaroo up close. The birds here are a noisy bunch, too.
@akalinus We have had up to five sheep but only one at the moment. The roos are not particularly quiet but come up around the house from time to time.
@akalinus (12739)
@JudyEv That's agreat picture! Is that mother and baby?
@scheng1 (24849)
Oh no, I live in a city. I do see birds, cats and dogs, but not all the others. I think we have wild boars in the national park, but they are too far away from my house. The wild creatures are smart enough not to get on the highway.
@akalinus (12739)
It must be a joy to see the birds, at least. It is wise to stay away from wild boars. They are dangerous and unpredictable.
@swissheart (6246)
I didn't experience this but I must admit I liked your way of describing the situation. it seemed funny
@akalinus (12739)
Sometimes, it does seem funny around here. Animals are funny and they act weird sometimes. One woman said that she was in her yard. A Sand Hill crane sneaked up behind her and was going to peck her hind end when a neighbor yelled and it ran off. She did not think it was funny, but it was the way she told it.
@Lucky15 (33730)
Hope we have some. :(
@akalinus (12739)
Do you like wild, or tame, animals.