Allow your location?

As one surfs online there's been a pop up lately asking your permission to share with the website your "location". I usually just close the box. Why are they asking for this? Is this for them to be able to put more relevant advertising on their page or ?
@lilnana1111 (2505)
I don't know, but I close the box too.
not 100% certain either, but what I do know is this pop up has become noticable... and potentially annoying
@pgiblett (6690)
The reason for asking is because they want to put you in contact with local suppliers. I normally reject it as well, even on places like Facebook.
That what I was thinking. But why ask? As I mentioned to someone else if you search for a particular item at a store ect then your pages all seem to show that vendor and that item or alike item already and no one asked your permission.
@pgiblett (6690)
@3SnuggleBunnies I believe they don't have to ask for your permission, some information is obtained from your internet connection point, which is normally in the local telephone exchange from there they know the town you are in, and don't need to know your precise location.
I close that box too & rarely give my location
I do the same. As I'm sure cookies and all sorts of lil spyware harvest enough information and surly don't ask permission.
@LeaPea2417 (7917)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I do wonder why they ask that.
I allow it if it is something I want to know. If I am checking it out I go on.