Going through the medicine cabinet....

@T_gray (7805)
Salina, Kansas
So last night, I was in my medicine cabinet looking for one of my medicines that I haven't taken in awhile and I was having a hard time finding it. I realized that I had a bunch of medicine that I never take or that are expired. So I thought that was a perfect time to clean out the cabinet and do a quick inventory. I like to keep the basic meds on hand just in case But in the end I was left with a bag full of expired meds. In the past I know that you aren't supposed to throw them away. With a quick research I learned that in my town you take them to the sheriff's office so they can dispose of them properly. Did you know this? What do you do with your expired medications?
No I didn't know this, but I never have had many medicines. The one I have I always finish, it's weed lol.
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
haha right!!
@kevin1877uk (36989)
I've always taken mine what I've been given to take so never had any go out of date.
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
That's good
@kevin1877uk (36989)
@T_gray Yeah it is, isn't it lol. Did you get your contact lens sorted of with Walmart?
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
@kevin1877uk Still waiting for them to come in the mail..shouldn't be much longer now
Liquids I pour on the ground and generally I crush up tablets then bury the powder.
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
I would think that would be ok, unless one day a bunch of squirrels get a hold of them and then they mutate and we have huge killer squirrels attacking us. That could happen
@T_gray We don't have squirrels here, only nocturnal possums. But we wouldn't want huge mutant kangaroos either so I'll be very careful how I dispose of medications in future.
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
@MGjhaud (20672)
no, i didnt know this. i'll probably research on what to do with it. normally if its just a handful of meds, i throw them in the garbage.
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
I guess a handful your shouldn't even throw away, not sure why really. I would think it would be harmless
@MGjhaud (20672)
@T_gray maybe because if the chemicals or something
No, I didn't know that. If they're expired, they get tossed, though I don't have expired meds, maybe supplements and vitamins but that would be about it.
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
I am not sure if you should throw those away either, but I don't know. I usually just throw them all in together
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Sheesh, I did not even consider that. I don't use a lot of medication, but now I know where to take it to be disposed of properly, thanks @T_gray .
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
no problem
@Platespinner (17062)
The only prescription medications we ever have in the house are antibiotics which are taken until they are gone (that and the anti-siezure meds my son is on), so there are never any leftover or expired medications to be disposed of.
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
I went through a process where i was trying to find the right med for me. So I had a lot left over of the meds that weren't right for me. And of course the expired ones that I found the other day.
Expired meds ~ I usually toss them, prescription ones - We dispose them properly, in the community sometimes there are drives where you just toss them w/out questions asked, etc.
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
Well that's cool
• Pensacola, Florida
I've heard that they just become weaker after the expiration date but you can still use them.
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
I have heard this too, but with my prescriptions they don't cost much so I prefer to keep them up to date.
@LeaPea2417 (21987)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I always just throw them away. I honestly didn't know they could be taken to the sheriff's office for proper disposal. I learned something new today, thanks!
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
no problem
I think that we can take them to the pharmacy in the UK.
I also chanced one time on our medicine drawer . It too has some expired medicines also . I just throw them on the non-biodegradable trash bin .
@Lucky15 (33698)
I throw the expired.ones.