Children: Overuse of Smartphones

Modernization really changed the lifestyle of people, that includes the young ones. There are so many dilemmas that challenges the importance of parenting. It is not a question, but need to deal with it. One of the ways to cut children’s overuse of smartphones is to get them involved in other activities. Taking away gadgets without providing any alternative is not going to work. Make sure to fill their time away from devices with another activity. You make them on a bike ride or sign them up for music and art lessons. What other ways do you suggest to make children less dependent on gadgets?
• Calgary, Alberta
You know what, My 12 year old niece is like a lifeless zombie whenever her smartphone is on her hands. She is like a hypnotized brainless plant. Which is sad because she is a smart kid but she always turn into a zombie with her gadgets around.
@CaptAlbertWhisker It is really alarming to know this real facts. I hope you could still handle it. Do you have any compromise situations with her?
• Calgary, Alberta
@Shavkat Her parents are zombie too so there is nothing I can do about that. Also I am only her uncle not her dad. If I have kids I will not let them become zombies. I will be a cool dad but there will still be limitations
@CaptAlbertWhisker I am into that. There is always limitations in handling the needs of the children. I am also an uncle that sometimes supervises my little niece.
Yes,they need to get moving.Not children.Adults are just as bad.
@amadeo I do think they need to follow the trend and tried to manage things up.
@Shavkat sorry,I do not go along with this trend.Why are they trendy.Keeping up with the young people?
@amadeo I think it wasn't keeping up with the young ones. It needs to accept the changes. If we don't embrace it, then why do we need to use computers.
good thing i just have a mobile phone. same goes for my nephews and nieces.
@Letranknight2015 Well, we cannot moved back. These gadgets are sign of keeping up with the changes in this world. We don't want also to make the younger generations to be outdated.
Great advice for all parents you have given here. Parents need to spend more time engaging in activities with their children on a regular basis. Accompanying kids on walks, hikes, games, excursions and bike rides without cell phones are rewarding activities for parent and child alike. I think parents often use those gadgets as babysitters to lessen the amount of parenting duties.
@Corbin5 You said it right. The modern gadgets became the savior of some parents in giving hands-on care with their children. If the children turned into a monster, then they will blamed things with the addiction of using these modern gadgets. There is always balance in everything.
Arts & crafts would be a good idea for kids to reduce their time with smart phones or even games/tv.
@Sreekala (23605)
I think parents are responsible to make their children depend on smartphones. Definitely over usage make them lazy and addictive. Most of the children like to play games, connected with FB and whatsup. All are good but need to make some restrictions. They can use the phone for some useful purposes like searching a topic for helping studies rather than wasting their time with the smartphones.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. To get young people off their smartphones, they need something in its place.