Mr. Youtube and Mr. Google Can’t Access In China

I am not sure if you are aware that Google and Youtube are not accessible in China. Since I am catering students in this country, most of them reacted differently with the availability of international social networks. It seems that they are not updated of what’s happening outside their country. Even Mr. Facebook cannot invite them to join. On the other hand, I also heard that they can access these social medias by using a software application. But then, it is considered illegal act in their country. The good news, they don’t have concrete punishment if found out using these social networks. It is like information blocked out for the people in China.
• Bangalore, India
i was not aware of it ,how do they keep themselves informed then
• Bangalore, India
whats the reason they are not allowed in their country
@abhinalstrikr I think they are using their own counterpart of these international websites. However, the information is limited.
@abhinalstrikr I think the reason is that their government refused to tie up with the other international websites.
• Preston, England
China blocks access to much of the internet for political reasons
@arthurchappell You said it right. I had stayed in China and worked there before. Some people cannot say things about what's going on and remained puzzled at times.
@artemeis (4070)
If you understand what it curtails to maintain national security, then you would not single surveillance out as some blocks for political reasons. Chinese today especially the young generation have internet access and broad acquaintances to the outside world. I don't know if you are aware or not of this, and if you do then I am sure whatever the country is blocking will have no effect at all since we all can communicate via various approved social networking sites and tools to know if our country is doing the wrong thing. If the government is deemed to be that low down, then I am sure the 13billion must be lunatics to be subjected to such governance.
• Preston, England
@artemeis such censorships have been tried before - many young Germans in Nazi Germany and occupied Europe risked their lives listening to American jazz stations on radio
@dodoazo (21403)
Communication in China, according to your information shared, is total controlled. China knows best on what is good and what is not in their country. In short, China is doing that to control their communication usage to her citizen for security reason. The Chinese don't have the choice but to abide with that restriction. Or otherwise, it is illegal and those violators would be dealt properly.
@dodoazo The truth is sometimes concealed especially if the news goes internationally.
@dodoazo (21403)
@Shavkat What is the point why they have to keep the truth from the people? The truth should be know by everybody and to be hidden or be taken from the people to know.
@scheng1 (24742)
@dodoazo I think you get the wrong impression. I think you can see groups of Chinese tourists in your country, as well as everywhere else. Some countries rely on Chinese tourists to spend to boost the economy. If Chinese government wants to keep the truth from the people, they might as well stop the Chinese from travelling.
This seems to have been the story for a very long time. They are keen to keep people from too much information from outside.
@JudyEv I do think it is one of the reason why some international events in their country were being concealed. I am not sure if this is the Olympic event.
@scheng1 (24742)
@JudyEv Are you sure? I think you have noticed that a lot of Chinese tourists are going to your country. In fact, the Chinese have been snapping up milk powder from the supermarkets. if the Chinese government wants to keep information from the people, they might as well stop them from travelling. If that happens, the economy of Australia will suffer.
@scheng1 China has stopped importing our iron ore at the moment and that is hurting our economy.
@rachael5760 (2720)
• Israel
You can use WeChat to talk to people in China instead. I use this with my students in China.
@rachael5760 I think WeChat is accessible in China.
@artemeis (4070)
@Shavkat This goes to show that China did not shut its people to the outside world and likewise shut out the outside world to this country. Is this not freedom?
@artemeis WeChat is still a Chinese version of Skype. It is still owned by your country.
@salonga (27955)
It is so sad for them. Oh well it maybe because China is a communist country so they don't have the freedom of those who live in Democratic countries like ours.
@salonga In some way, they were not allowed to know further information of what's happening within or even outside their country.
@salonga (27955)
@Shavkat yes, it would be a threat to their communist ideology when their people learn of so many things.
@artemeis (4070)
@Shavkat I think you are wrong again here. Please note that there is nothing to hide or control as far as truth is concern. But there is everything to be done on constructed and damaging lies of the country and government.
I did not know this. Glad those who access those sites do not receive a severe punishment if they gain access.
@Corbin5 I agree. I just heard from a student that there is no serious punishment for accessing these sites.
@artemeis (4070)
@Shavkat @Corbin5 Students were arrested for staging the protests and causing damages in the vicinity. FYI the demonstrations costs the countries millions of dollars and another billions for the recovery. So please help get the facts right here.
@artemeis (4070)
@Letranknight2015 It is a fact that these so called peaceful demonstrations are NEVER once peaceful to 99.999% and it is not the commotions the authorities including yours are mindful but the damages after the effect. Take the Hong Kong recent demonstration where the country came to a complete halt since nobody could turn up for work in crucial infrastructures like banks, government office, stock market and eventually schools. Is that not costs to the country? All for what? P.S. Interestingly, did you know that you could be arrested and imprisoned if you participate or organize demonstrations in Singapore?
@scheng1 (24742)
Most of them know what is happening internationally better than us. When we visit China, we find that they are well versed in all international events, and they know my country better than me.
@scheng1 I got your point. They might know what's going on outside their country. There is no doubt since they can tapped information by using an app that is considered illegal in accessing international websites. However, it is not easy access. Based on what I've heard from reliable sources in China, some news within the country is not being broadcast in full details. In most cases, it is being concealed.
@artemeis (4070)
@Shavkat About the news coverage and reporting, it is a known global issue where the releases are moderated. Even in the States, I'm sure members here will tell you which cable news they will NEVER watch since they are pro-government.
@artemeis I respect your opinion. But I don't think that news should be manipulated. If it does, where is the freedom of speech.