Robot care?

@sallypup (27503)
Moses Lake, Washington
Would you care if it was a robot assisting you with personal care? Years ago I earned my keep by being a Jackie of all trades with elderly clients. I'd cook, clean, do their laundry, drive them to the doc. And above all I'd listen. They needed an ear and somebody, even paid, friendly and harmless, near by. What about it? Would it have mattered that a robot had knocked on that person's door instead of a middle aged woman? A robot can open cans of coffee and bake cookies. A robot can even listen while scrubbing a toilet. What's the diff?
@Bluedoll (17063)
I wouldn't mind a cleaner to go around. It would be like having a maid in the house. The cost might influence my thinking however.
@sallypup (27503)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@bluedoll I think a good many of the seniors viewed me as a maid. Better that view than to acknowledge that they were vulnerable and needed someone checking on their welfare 2 to 3 times a week.
@Bluedoll (17063)
@sallypup I wasn't sure from what angle you were coming from? You see robots as threats? It must have been a difficult occupation. I guess you had to deal with a lot and felt not appreciated at times? I don't know. I do look at machines in both ways. They can be helpful or damaging.
@sallypup (27503)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Bluedoll I was just playing with the idea of what it would be like to have a machine help in personal situations. At times the job was difficult and in others, a delight. Depended on the person needing help and on my supervisor. I walked into the apartment never knowing what would be there waiting for me to be done- I got to one place to find a lady who had an amputated leg. Another one was like a sweet Grandma. Another a psycho. My job was to deal with one and all and I did.
I don't personally want to have to be taken care of by anybody ever.
@Bluedoll (17063)
I was thinking about the personal aspect of talking. It's a robot not a person. However when you called robot a "anybody" I thought maybe a robot is a somebody.
@sallypup (27503)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Your attitude is common,@TRBRocks. I ran into that a lot and it made my job much harder. Then there were the folks who made me work for every second the agency paid for. No slacking. Ever.
@sallypup (27503)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Bluedoll Are our computers and other technological devices a somebody? Do we scream at the cat if the cat harms that machine or knocks it down?
I can't see a robot cleaning my body at all. Someone else is controlling that device. No way.
@sallypup (27503)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@sharon6345 It is rather creepy though getting to the point of needing someone helping out in the bathroom is creepy, too.
I wouldn't mind the household stuff if a robot could do it but as for any personal attention I'd rather have a human