Had My Favorite Thai Food

Portland, Connecticut
The entire time I was in Florida I dreamed about my favorite Thai restaurant. They have a coconut soup that I just love. We arrived back home Saturday afternoon and after church on Sunday morning we went to have lunch there. The soup was every bit as good as I remember and I told the owner that I had been thinking about it for 3 months. She laughed and said next year she will send some to me in the mail. Lol That would be heaven!! Do you have a favorite dish that you love enough to want to have it shipped to you?
At least the owner is a joker too . But who knows , she might be indeed sending you some in an ice box . Indeed , we always have our cravings for foods we had and miss . I always would ask our daughter to bring me JCo doughnuts whenever she comes home because we don't have it here in our province .
• Portland, Connecticut
I did try to find a good Thai restaurant in Florida but had no success.
@BelleStarr Basically , is your favorite Thai food spicy ?
• Portland, Connecticut
@SIMPLYD No the spice level of this soup is mild, it is comfort food really.
I'm glad it was as good as you remembered. I don't have any like that.
• Portland, Connecticut
I love it so simple light and delicious.
@BelleStarr I love coconut. I wonder how it's made.
• Portland, Connecticut
@just4him It has coconut milk, onions, peppers, lemon grass and either chicken or shrimp. It is simple but so delicious.
For me, coconut and soup don't go together. I've never tried it though.
• Portland, Connecticut
It has onions and peppers and lemongrass in it along with either chicken or shrimp. It is very light and refreshing and I love the taste of coconut milk. Lots of Thai dishes use coconut milk in them. I guess it is an acquired taste. lol
@AkoPinay (9199)
I love Thai Foods too! But only Chinese foods are common here in the Philippines. My favorite is prawn balls and buttered crabs
• Portland, Connecticut
Well that does sound very delicious, I love crabs and what is not to like about anything with prawns.
@Platespinner (15552)
Most of the time I have to eat my own cooking, so I'll have to reply with a "no" to your query
• Portland, Connecticut
Since it is just my hubby and I , it is often more economical to just eat out especially in Florida where I didn't have all my basic spices etc that I use at home. Meals out are so big that we often get several meals from one visit to a restaurant.
@BelleStarr I'm usually feeding anywhere from 4-6 folks, three are teenagers and one is a recently recovered teenager--the amount of food they can put away boggles the imagination at times.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Platespinner lol I can easily imagine, my 3 were all teens at the same time and my daughter has 5 sons from 4-22 with 3 teens , those boys can really eat.
@Macarrosel (7410)
I had a lot of favorite foods and one is a dish with coconut milk too.
• Portland, Connecticut
I really need to start cooking with coconut milk since I love it so much
Now that's what I call delayed gratification! Glad it was all you hoped it would be.
• Portland, Connecticut
It was so good to have it again, well worth the 3 month wait.!!
I do not have a dish that I like that much to have shipped to me, but there is a barbeque house in town that has the most amazing sauce, that I would have shipped. I go there just to buy a bottle of it occasionally.
• Portland, Connecticut
Now that sounds really great, I love BBQ and do enjoy the sauce. We have good BBQ in Florida, the chain Sonny's has outlets all over town and it is quite good.
@UncleJoe (6930)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Yes. We order Boudin from Louisiana. I fell in love with it when I was down there but it can't be obtained in Virginia.
• Portland, Connecticut
Oh yes the sausage. I do order jelly and chutney from Virginia that I bought the first time when I was visiting.
@sol_cee (11295)
• Japan
Pak chi ruined Thai food for me.
• Portland, Connecticut
I have no idea what pak chi is
@amnabas (9681)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Not really everything is available here...
• Portland, Connecticut
I tried to find a restaurant in Florida that had this particular soup and couldn't so I was glad to be able to eat the original.
Not that I can think of being that I could cook them all.
• Portland, Connecticut
I wish I had the recipe for this soup but actually we do eat out a lot since it is just the two of us.
Glad you got to have your favorite food and, hmm not sure lol.
• Portland, Connecticut
It was sooo good, it really made my tummy happy!!
My favorite meal is pork spare ribs. With corn on the cob and potatoes
• Portland, Connecticut
That sounds very delicious. I cook pork at home a lot but rarely order it out.
I've never heard of coconut soup before, sounds intriguing. Is it sweet, salty or sour?
• Portland, Connecticut
It is not salty or sour, it is a little sweet but the lemon grass keeps it savory as well.
I have to look up savory @BelleStarr I honestly have no clue what that is supposed to taste like.
• Portland, Connecticut
@rebelann Oh not the spice, the taste, not too sweet. Savory (the spice) is something I use when I make French Canadian Pea soup. The coconut soups is seasoned with lemongrass so very light!!
@gudheart (12810)
LOL I love fried chicken and pizza a lot! But I am lucky enough to have it close by so I can order it easily :D
• Portland, Connecticut
lol I don't want to make it seem like we don't have great food in Florida we do, just not my favorite dish which this restaurant does so well!! We did eat a lot of very fine "Southern" cuisine!! I love fried chicken too and pizza I can take or leave.
@gudheart (12810)
@BelleStarr I am not really into Thai food, and there is not as many Thai food places that are good here compared to the number of Fried chicken and pizza places!
• Portland, Connecticut
@gudheart The one I go to has Thai and Chinese and she is an exceptional cook so everything is not only beautiful but delicious. When I am in the UK I eat Cornish pasties at least once a week, often more often. lol
My late mother made the best apple pie and berry pudding pies and I often crave them. Unfortuntely I can't have them shipped but I sure do miss them in my life!
• Portland, Connecticut
My mom too, I do try to make my apple pies the way she did but some of her other dishes escape me. I did ask her for recipes but she never measured anything which makes it difficult to duplicate!! lol There is nothing quite like moms cooking is there?
@BelleStarr You're right about mom's cooking, especially now that they're gone and we can't enjoy it anymore.
• Portland, Connecticut
@LindaCPearson My mom is still alive but she can't remember anything like a recipe. I am just hoping she remembers me when I get in to see her!! It is like my mom is gone but her body is still here, a very strange situation.
My husband loves Thai food. He has gone to go get it a few times with his sister but I cannot even stand the smell of peoples breaths after all the cury I couldn't even eat it.
• Portland, Connecticut
Curry is one of those things that people either love or hate. This soup however has n curry in it.
@BelleStarr I just figured everything Thai had curry in it. Everything my husband ever gets does and it drives me insane.
• Portland, Connecticut
@farbuoloxusy lol I know what you mean but no, it doesn't all have it and this one is very light and delicious. My friend doesn't like curry either but there are several Thai dishes that she loves so keep an open mind. I personally don't like the taste of cumin so there are many Mexican and Indian dishes that I don't like for that reason.
@antonbunot (8217)
• Calgary, Alberta
O, I have my favorite soup and I believe it is a health food for everyone - - WONTON SOUP!
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes you and everyone else except me, just not in love with chicken broth Now if they added coconut milk!! lol
• Calgary, Alberta
@BelleStarr You don't like chicken broth?! I guess I should try coconut milk instead of chicken broth when I prepare/cook my next bowl of wonton soup. If it tastes good, I will call it COCO SOUP!
• Portland, Connecticut
@antonbunot I just find chicken broth bland unless I have a cold and then I insist on chicken soup!! lol
@simone10 (22294)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Not really but I do love a certain cheese dip that you can only buy in certain places. They don't have it here so we have thought about ordering it online.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am a big believer in ordering things I find in other places online. I order jelly and chutney from Virginia and relish from Ohio. I find them when I visit and fall in love with them.
@simone10 (22294)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@BelleStarr There is a BBQ restaurant in Memphis called Corkey's and they have the best ribs. Once (before I moved in with him), my brother ordered ribs from them for a birthday he was having for a friend. The cheese dip I was referring to is from another restaurant in Memphis called Pancho's. We will be ordering from them next weekend.
• Portland, Connecticut
@simone10 I have heard of Corkeys, they sell them on QVC.