Top 20 Merle Haggard Songs: Rainbow Stew (#17)

@FourWalls (14639)
I continue my tribute to Merle Haggard with my 20 favorite Haggard songs. Oh, and here's a spoiler: there are two non-hits in this list. This isn't one of those, however. #17: Rainbow Stew This is a terrific song about wishing for things that we know just won't happen ("when a president goes through the White House doors and does what he says he'll do we'll all be drinking that free Bubble Up and eating that rainbow stew"). Despite the fact that most things are dreams ("when world wide war is over and done and the dream of peace comes through"), there's some great philosophy in this song. My favorite line in this song has always been, "You don't have to get high to get happy." This was one of Haggard's top ten hits in the 80s. Rainbow Stew Written by Merle Haggard From Rainbow Stew Live At Anaheim Stadium, 1981
Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group Rainbow Stew · Merle Haggard Down Every Road 1962-1994 ? 1981 MCA Nashville, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc P...
He wrote this one after getting clean and sober? The line You don't have to get high to get happy sounds like something a man after coming out of the program would say.
I'd bet I played this when I used to pull shifts on our sister country station back then. Good choice.