Top Ten Warren Zevon Songs: Model Citizen (#8)

@FourWalls (12854)
In addition to looking back at the late Merle Haggard I'm also counting down my ten favorite songs by my all-time favorite rock songwriter, Warren Zevon. If you're enjoying these that I'm doing, or that @johnroberts did with Linda Ronstadt's best, or that @teamfreak16 is doing with the seminal punk band Bad Brains, jump on board! #8: Model Citizen "It's the white man's burden and it weighs a ton." I can stop there in describing this song, but I won't. This song is a deceptively humorous look at living the middle class dream, painting it more as a middle class nightmare. This is a typical "model" household: "I'm a law-abiding man, I'm a good Samaritan, I pay my taxes when I can." Yet the home is filled with people on the edge, including the ever-comical Zevon. He boasts of his "Craftsman lathe" that he uses as a not-too-subtle threat to "show...to the children when they misbehave." And, while his model wife is "playing canasta with everyone in town," the overwhelming pressure of middle class causes Zevon to "load up the Winnebago, drive it in the lake." There are a dozen songs I can use as a singular example of why I love Zevon's music and songwriting so much. This song is certainly one of them. Model Citzen Written by Warren Zevon, LeRoy Marinell, and Waddy Wachtel From Mr. Bad Example, 1991
Jeff Porcaro rare collection. Artist: Warren Zevon Album: Mr. Bad Example Track N.: 3 Year: 1991 Musicians: Jeff Porcaro - drums Waddy Wachtel - guitar & har...
The man knew how to tell a poignant story and listening to this, it's not dated whatsoever.
Yet another great set of Zevon lyrics, but what do you expect? Dude could definitely write them.