Make Sure You Check the Oil!

@Morleyhunt (15946)
Growing up with five brothers does have some advantages. Here I was, married with four kids and I had never used the lawnmower. My brothers cut the acre of grass my parents had around the house and since we married my husband had been able to stay ahead of the grass, so I had been spared that chore. My husbands work schedule had gotten incredibly busy so I offered to cut the grass on the half acre we were using. He showed me how to start the lawnmower and left for work. His last words were, when you fill the gas tank be sure to check the oil. After lunch, the grass was dry and three of the children were down for naps, the fourth was strapped to me. It was time to get started. The mower started without any problems and I started cutting the grass. I was three quarters of the way through when the lawnmower ran out of gas and the children were awake again. The gas tank was filled. Now, where do I check the oil? I asked four year old. She pointed to a screw cap. I opened it. The oil was down, so I added a bit. I still couldn't see it. I added some more. Finally about half a litre later I decided that was enough. The lawn mower wouldn't start. When my husband came home, he tried. It still wouldn't start. Where did you put the oil? I pointed. He started to laugh. I had poured half a litre of oil directly into the carburetor. It was several years before I cut the grass again.
@Platespinner (18096)
So you managed to avoid cutting the grass and I was pushing the lawnmower around the yard by the time I was twelve because the older brothers that were still at home all had lawn mowing jobs elsewhere that they got paid for.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
It worked for a few years. By the time the baby strapped to me was two and a half, I was cutting a half acre of grass on a weekly basis. Now it's been easily 15 years since I've cut any grass.
@Morleyhunt I haven't cut grass since the boys got old enough to do it...I imagine when they eventually move out it will end up being my job again. I don't mind, it's good exercise .
Vince has a ride-on now and I'd be hard pushed to be allowed to drive that I think! Toy boys and their toys!
I'm sure the carb was operating nice and smoothly, anyway
@Morleyhunt (15946)
At the time I didn't find it at all amusing. Somehow, time and distance has made it funnier and funnier. When my husband swept the grass off the mower it was very easy to see the cap marked, OIL.
@Morleyhunt I first thought I was going to read about an engine seizing because no one put any oil in it.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
@JolietJake that's what happened to my van. We took it in for an oil change. They drained the oil, changed the filter and forgot to put in the oil. Not good.
Oh no, you are not alone. I know nothing about lawnmowers.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
If he had only taken the extra moments to show me where to check the oil. It would have saved me a lot of embarrassment, and him the aggravation of repairing the mower.
That is funny and I might of done the same thing.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
It was much easier to laugh about after some time had passed.
@Marcyaz (36125)
Oh no you put the oil in the carburetor well that happens when you don't know. That is one reason I like an electric lawn mower and they are much easier to start, all you need is a long outside extension cord.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
That would need to be a very long extension cord.
@Marcyaz (36125)
@Morleyhunt Yep which you can buy and I like the electric mowers better anyway.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
@Marcyaz seriously....who wants to pull 500 ft of electrical cord. Now we have a riding mower. My husband cuts about 10 acres of lawn.
't least he laughed :D mine'd been hollerin' like a crazed fool - only he's allowed to damage anythin'. i think i married the wrong fella??
@Morleyhunt (15946)
I picked a good one. I'm keeping him.
@Morleyhunt don't blame ya there! those're rare gems 'ndeed :) big hugs!
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I have never made a silly mistake like that, except maybe putting the wrong soap in the dishwasher. Like you, that was a chore no one would let me do for a while.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
To think I was foolish enough to ask a four year old where daddy put the oil.
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Morleyhunt That is funny!
@louievill (16268)
Oh boy that was funny but seiously oil is very important to an engine, no gas would only stop the engine from running but no oil would cause it to knock and destroy it. So how did you remove the oil from the carburetor?
@Morleyhunt (15946)
I've killed a van because of driving it with no oil, but that is a story for another time.....and I wasn't responsible.
@louievill (16268)
@nanette64 (13219)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh no @Morleyhunt . That was definitely an "Oops".
@Morleyhunt (15946)
A big oops. A lesson I will NEVER forget.
@xFiacre (10395)
@morelyhunt It's a wonder he ever let you near the thing again, or was that you were hoping for?
@Morleyhunt (15946)
No , he made sure I knew where to put the oil in future. He thought it was funny right away. I was mortified.
I think maybe you were very lucky he laughed! I'm not sure Vince would have. It would probably depend how difficult it was to fix.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
That is one of the reasons, my husband is a keeper. He can see the humourin situations that could easily escalate.
@Morleyhunt I don't know how much damage oil in the carburettor does. We have a squirty stuff you spray in the carburettor if an engine won't start. It's called 'Start Ya B***ard' which I think is hilarious.
@MarymargII (8232)
• Toronto, Ontario
Sounds like something I would do- ha! Oh well- at least you knew it could have needed oil- haha!
@Morleyhunt (15946)
Nothing like making the first grass cutting experience memorable.
• Toronto, Ontario
@Morleyhunt And you did- how could you forget that---lol!
@gudheart (12804)
Aww your four year old helped you there...clever little ones aren't they :D
@Morleyhunt (15946)
Why would I think the four year old could tell me? Not the brightest move. I think I'll just use the excuse I was sleep deprived.
@MGjhaud (20810)
oh my gosh i love your kid haha.. good job nevertheless.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
That was a lot to ask of a four year old. I was obviously sleep deprived.
@Lucky15 (33712)
aww,,.i might do the same thing, i am not really familiar with those--and other engines
@Morleyhunt (15946)
If he hadn't made such a big deal about checking the oil,none of this would have happened.
Sometimes 4 year old babies donĀ“t know it all. Although it was a 5 year old who taught me to use my first cellphone.
It is best that we always ask our husbands on how to operate these mechanical things indeed .