Have Less Anxiety About the Root Canal

By Lola
@Lolaze (3116)
I finally got my anxiety over the root canal settled down. I made an appointment with my dentist to talk things over and let her know how anxious I have been. We had a really good talk. She reassured me that the doctor doing the procedure is very good – he actually worked on her tooth when she got a cavity. I was terrified of having the metal holder and rubber guard put in my mouth and believed I'd choke on it. That solution was simple, they won't use it during the root canal. I'm very happy about that. My dentist had already planned to be in the room to help me stay calm. We made a bit more of a plan today. She is going to make sure I get a ton of breaks during the procedure to help me stay calm. She's also going to let me hold her hand while the other dentist is doing the work. I feel a lot better now that she and I have talked things over and she's calmed some of my fears.
@Lucky15 (33427)
I wanted that kind of dentist ;)
@Lolaze (3116)
She is amazing
@Hate2Iron (7662)
Oh wow... she sounds like an amazing dentist. I wish that they were more like her.
@Lolaze (3116)
I found out just recently that she is a survivor of abuse, I think she certainly understands people fearing dentists and having a lot of fear and anxiety in general.
I am so happy that you feel more comfortable now.
My sister and nephew had a few of them. No problems were had by either. I want dentures so,I would have that tooth removed. I am not scared in any way of the work. I just never want the recovery from it. If you soak your mouth in epsom salt you won't need pain pills. good luck.
@Lolaze (3116)
Thanks! I had someone yesterday scare me by telling me how painful they are.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@Lolaze If you get the proper amount of novocaine, you should not feel any pain at all. And if you do, you just stop them and tell them you need more. I've had several root canals done, and never felt a thing. Good luck.
That's good. I've never had one. I hope it goes well.
@Macarrosel (7576)
Then you have a good and caring dentist. You're lucky indeed.
@xFiacre (4287)
@lolaze My wife doesn't just hold someone,a hand - she's been known to reach up and wrap her arms round the dentist's neck. My brother once bit the dentist he was so scared. I'm fortunate in that I'm able to lie back and just let it all happen with not a worry. I'm sure it'll go well for you.
The laughing gas helps a lot of people. You're not unconscious or anything, but it works well on calming nerves. Sounds like you have a great outlook on it.