Not giving your kids necessities - their teeth!

@ricki_911 (19428)
Toronto, Ontario
My friend can't see this point and I thought your kid will never forgive you. I knew a few people growing up who had bad teeth that could of been fixed. Now I will say my parents literally had no money. BUT we always went to the dentist and got our teeth fixed every 6 months. My friend kids are around 5 and 9 now, and their teeth are horrible. I am not sure if its because she just doesn't care if they don't brush them but I showed them how to brush them and floss. They have plaque build up, and I know it depends on the food and such but even so. The one teeth literally growing out side ways, the other one has a big gap. She makes decent money and I said they may want to toy now but thye will thank you if you get their teeth fixed it will cost less now rather than later.
My parents were very poor when we were younger as well. We only went to the dentist once a year because it was a free day at the dentist. But the thing that upset me is my brother got his teeth fixed with braces when he needed them-the rest of us needed work done too but never got it. =( I am on top of my children and their teeth because I don't want their teeth to look like mine when they get older. I wasn't made to brush my teeth either when I was a kid and now my teeth look awful. =(
@zarlamain (24525)
We were financially struggling when I was little, but my parents always took me to the dentist to get my teeth checked and cleaned every few months.
@ricki_911 (19428)
• Toronto, Ontario
Yes, and you appreciate it now. I think most of those parents who don't take their kids just don't not the fact they can't afford it.
@zarlamain (24525)
@ricki_911 Yes, teeth are important to health and appearance. I'm glad to be able to smile now without being embarrassed about my teeth.
@ricki_911 (19428)
• Toronto, Ontario
@zarlamain They truely are! It shows the improtance to others as well.
Daddy was in the Air Force and we had great dental care.
@ricki_911 (19428)
• Toronto, Ontario
I would love that! But even without dental care benefits you should budget for it.
Keeping teeth healthy really does result in a big savings later on. We even had braces way back in the day because my mom insisted we have straight teeth.
@ricki_911 (19428)
• Toronto, Ontario
Even the basic cleaning, and flossing does help. I couldn't believe my friends kids had 10 cavities I have never had that many in my life.
@kevin1877uk (36976)
When I was small we always went to the dentist.