Random Word Post – machicolation

Brookville, Pennsylvania
May 14, 2016 3:15pm CST
I find a random word by flipping through my 2003 The New Webster’s Concise Dictionary and write a quick – often silly – little post about it. # “machicolation – Architecture. An opening between a wall and a parapet, on a roof over an entrance, etc., to permit the dropping of missiles or boiling liquids on an enemy.” I was going to say I thought those were murder holes, but figured there would be a more technical name for them. But I guess machicolations were to try to kill people trying to climb the walls or get in the outer gate, while murder holes – or meurtrières – covered the passageway between the outer and inner gates.
1 person likes this
1 response
@ricki_911 (19326)
• Toronto, Ontario
14 May 16
Is that what it is called? Could they not name it something more suiting
1 person likes this