Home on the Road

@OKennedy (1150)
I want to travel but I also want to have a home to call my own. However I am not able to have both I can only have one or the other. I have the option to buy a new place but if I do so that means that I will not be able to travel. I firstly won't be able to afford to travel if I take on a brand new place with lots of space. Also if I buy a new place I won't be able to afford getting a new car. So I have to decide which of the two I either want or need more. If I get a new car then I can travel but I am stuck where I am at and in all honesty its okay but not what I want for the long run. Taking on car payments with insurance and all the other lovely fees leaves us broke not being able to afford to travel anywhere unless its local. Then that leaves the choice of staying put not getting a car and just travel but that causes equal expenses and it is only something that we would be able to do maybe once each year mainly during the summer when the kids are on vacation. So I was thinking and wondering how I could make a choice that would suit my wants, needs, budget and make us all fairly happy. I know everyone happy isn't possible. I thought that the best way to achieve that was to simply buy a used RV and take it on the road. This way we have a home, we have a vehicle and we get to travel. I see that as a win-win whos is with me on this? I am not really seeing much of a downside to doing this. I can make payments while we are on the road because all of my income is direct deposit. We can pick and choose where we want to go and see the whole country. The kids won't have the chance to make many friends because we won't stay put they will be home schooled but its something that not many people get a chance to do in their lifetime. So I was wanting the opinions of anyone who reads this. Pro's, Con's, ideas ,suggestions anything. Hey if you think it is totally insane that is welcomed as well.
Well, you brought kids into the equation, which changes what I may have said otherwise. Kids need a place to call home, they need a base to set roots in which to grow, in my opinion. I'm sure there are kids that are just fine constantly moving from place to place, but I couldn't see raising my children that way.
@OKennedy (1150)
My kids don't have many friends as it is they are confined to the house and anything that is within walking distance which isn't really saying much in terms of what they can do for fun. They are not exactly happy because we don't go anywhere or do anything and everyone we know that we did things with are now far from us. Even if things were better for us I don't know how happy I would be with the choices of people that they have to make friends with in the area we live at. Having kids always complicates your choices.
To my way of thinking kids have a base or 'home' which is the vehicle. Most become quite resilient and make friends easily as they go along. I guess it depends on the children and the family dynamics.
@JudyEv I like the fact that there is a house that all of us kids remember as home...I live in it now...
@FourWalls (10070)
I think the biggest con to it is the fact that you're talking about less than 300 square feet for a family to live in all the time. I've seriously considered doing this, but I'm single with no kids to worry about. I don't know if full-time life on the road would be advantageous for a family. The other big "con" is that when something goes wrong with the "vehicle" part you've in essence lost your home until it's repaired. Unlike a car, where there are repair shops on every corner and easy access to roadside assistance (with things like AAA), an RV tow isn't something that everyone has sitting around the repair shop. While Good Sam (the AAA of RVs) does cover towing, in many cases you'd have to be towed much further than you would for a car repair. And, as I said, you're "homeless" (stuck in a hotel room) until it's fixed. But yeah, it does sound like a good idea, and I've definitely thought of getting a van and converting it to my own little RV and going to the Smokies for three months at a time! Good luck in your decision.
@OKennedy (1150)
Thanks for the input. I was thinking we would go from state to state. Visit everyone we know and the few states in between where we don't have friends or family just get a hotel from time to time to breathe I guess. I will have to really give this some more thought and see what everyone wants and feel it out I guess we can start off small visiting neighboring states first and then venture out further in the future. I guess a part of me wants to break away from the everyday things same old same old. I feel like I am going nowhere and doing nothing and it makes me a little nuts.
@MGjhaud (20802)
i find the RV idea as exciting but i wouldnt personally do it because of my health condition. i wish you luck though whichever you choose.
@OKennedy (1150)
Thank you I am conflicted all I do know for sure is that I am going crazy because no matter what I choose I will not be completely happy. If I travel we have to stop from time to time friends and family and hotels. Which doesn't bother me much but I am thinking that when we go visit certain people the kids won't want to leave. They have told me a few places they want to go Disney World, Grand Canyon, Great Lakes. This makes me want to be a kid when life was simple you don't know better and you just want.
@MGjhaud (20802)
if in case travelling will be pushed through, do you have plans to go back where you started? it would be so hard for the kids to come and go from one place to another.
@OKennedy (1150)
@MGjhaud I honestly don't know we could come back even thought I hate living where we are for my own personal reasons.
I want a RV or motor home so bad and, just travel around living at different camp sites, that would be awesome someday.
@OKennedy (1150)
I agree I want to see the rest of the country and this would be a good way to do so. I was looking into them they are costly. Someday right we just got to keep trying.
If I had my time over again I would be doing what you're suggesting. We're in our late 60s. Last year we went to Ireland, bought a used motor-home and travelled for five months - Ireland France Germany Austria England. We couldn't have afforded to do it using B&Bs or hotels. We had our accommodation, could cook for ourselves if we wanted to, coffee was cheap as chips making our own and we free-camped quite a bit. The experience will be marvellous for the kids too. Go for it!
@OKennedy (1150)
That is really great Thanks for the share. I know I will need to save some money up so it won't be anytime in this year but maybe over the next few and I hope that it is a great experience for them. I want to do a small trial for the summer first and see how it goes and how everyone feels and then go from there.
I think the RV as a permanent home would work out well for a couple, but I would not want to do it if I had children. I would not enjoy the lack of space or the constant moving from place to place if kids were in the picture. I just keep thinking of medical emergencies for the kids and the difficulty of being near medical help at all times. However, I think I would research how other families have an RV life and get tips from them.
@OKennedy (1150)
Thanks I didn't think of that maybe someone who had done it already can give me more insight. I think they may be upset with the confinement but its not anything they won't get over that they don't already bicker about now.