Celebrating Women

Laguna Woods, California
Last night, Hillary Clinton became the first woman to become the presumptive nominee of a major political party. In honor of the occasion, I invited five of my neighborhood women to my home to watch the primary results come in. We had all voted in the California primary, which was held yesterday. One of the women said she had used the non-partisan ballot, which does not include a presidential choice ... but she was "leaning towards Trump." One of the women had voted for Bernie. The other women had voted for Hillary. Regardless of who we voted for, we all toasted her and celebrated the fact that a woman had made it to the top of the ballot for a major political party. All of the women in this group had long careers in the business world. Two of the women still work, even though they are in their 70s. We all appreciate how hard it is for a woman to reach the top in the corporate world, let alone the political world. We all recognize that no woman can reach that peak without a lot of toughness and criticism, often unfair. Women in both politics and business are criticized for their hair, their make-up, their clothes, their voices, for staying with unfaithful husbands, for failing to keep a marriage together, and for so much more. Whether or not all of those women vote for Hillary in the fall, and whatever we think of her personally, we recognized that this was a historical moment and we wanted to acknowledge it. In fact, I think most of us felt more moved by the moment than we expected to be. A glass ceiling has truly been broken.
I have heard nasty comments from women about what Hillary has accomplished. They do not seem to get it at all. Most of them who said these things are very young. They do not realize what the world was like before they were adults. It is still tougher on women than it is on men, but is far easier now than it was in the past. This is a fabulous accomplishment. Those of us "of a certain age" get it, appreciate it, and applaud her success, regardless of our political views.
• Laguna Woods, California
I agree that some women simply have no appreciation for what an accomplishment this is. This is a huge step towards changing the political future for women in this country!
@DeborahDiane I don't think women's history is being taught in schools. This could be why younger women have no clue about this achievement.
• Laguna Woods, California
@ElizabethWallace - I agree that young women have no idea what it was like when we were young. I remember going to the School of Business at the University I attended and asking for advice on a major. I was told by the advisor I could take their secretarial classes. I ended up majoring in Human Environmental and Interior Design, instead, and eventually became a Realtor. I did not want to work as a secretary, since I was already doing that to work my way through college.
@Marcyaz (35589)
It has not been easy for women in the corporate or political world so this is a red mark day or women.
• Laguna Woods, California
I agree! This is an event that all women should celebrate. A glass ceiling has truly been broken!
@Marcyaz (35589)
@DeborahDiane A glass ceiling has certainly been broken and now we go onward to even more good things.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Marcyaz - Yes, this was a major glass ceiling and this is certainly a new age!
@KristenH (25308)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I hope Trump doesn't win this fall. I'm with Hillary all the way. Woman power!
• Laguna Woods, California
I agree with you! To me, there is simply no other choice a woman could make between Trump and Hillary. I don't understand how any women outside his family could possibly support him.
@DaddyEvil (26238)
• Aurora, Missouri
@DeborahDiane LOL! That is exactly what Pretty just said, too! SMH! I am a bit worried when my daughter and I agree on a presidential candidate, let alone share the same views about several of them at once! (Is the world really going to end if Trump wins? That is what I keep hearing!) LOL!
@KristenH (25308)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@DeborahDiane Good questions. I don't know much about Sanders either.
• Walnut Creek, California
A glass ceiling has indeed been broken. But we have a long way to go in terms of attitudes toward and stereotypes about both women and men.
• Laguna Woods, California
You are absolutely right that we have a long way to go in terms of attitudes toward and stereotypes about both women and men. We still have a lot of stereotypes about races, ethnic groups and sexuality, as well. I have some dear friends that are blatantly prejudiced, and while they have many other good qualities, they can be difficult to be around at times. I wonder if we will ever have a world where people are judged as individuals?
As you know we had a woman Prime Minister, so it's not so strange for us. It seems funny to me that we broke that glass ceiling a long time before you - America usually does something and the rest of the world follows. Love your room.
• Laguna Woods, California
I agree that the United States has been way behind the rest of the world in electing a woman ... and it has been hard for me to understand why. I'm glad we have put that barrier behind us. Thanks for the compliment on my house!
What a great excuse for a little quality time with your gal pals and have some fun.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, it was a great excuse to have a little fun with the neighborhood women ... and it was a special event that we all celebrated!
Yes, it is a wonderful happening for all women no matter the candidate of choice.
• Laguna Woods, California
I agree that this was a huge step for women!
At the very least I think you have to admire her for getting past all the cr*p and scandal from previous years.
• Laguna Woods, California
I read an excellent editorial about that. It asked what kind of person we expected the first woman president to be ... the head of the local PTA? Of course it would have to be a woman who had paid her political dues, which means she was bound to have a long history of public life that would include both successes and failures, times she was right and times she had made mistakes. I thought the author made a good point.
• Eugene, Oregon
I hope that they all end up voting for her in this historic election.
• Laguna Woods, California
I certainly believe that, given the alternative, women would be well-advised to vote for her! I hope they do!
@MarymargII (10830)
• Toronto, Ontario
That was a great idea to have them over on a momentous occasion. It was a great feat from Hillary and I should have toasted her too! ha!
• Laguna Woods, California
My group of friends were very happy about Hillary's success and I was so happy that I could have them over to celebrate together!
@MarymargII (10830)
• Toronto, Ontario
@DeborahDiane What a great idea! It was an historic moment for sure!
• Laguna Woods, California
@MarymargII - Yes, it is always so much more exciting to share historical moments with others, rather than watch them alone.
@UncleJoe (11410)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
It doesn't bother me that a woman has been nominated. I'm just astounded that a lying double-dealing and very untrustworthy person like her could be picked. Unfortunately, there really aren't any better options. If there were, she wouldn't get in. Oh, BTW, isn't she supposed to be the President for everybody? Not just women?
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, I believe she is going to be a president for everyone. I also believe that everyone in the U.S. already knows whether they will vote for Hillary, Trump, a write-in candidate or a third party candidate in the fall, so I am not trying to persuade anyone to do anything different. I just wanted to recognize her enormous accomplishment. The candidates we have to choose from are never perfect people. They are always flawed. But I read this interesting editorial about Hillary. It asked what kind of person we expected the first woman president to be ... the head of the local PTA? Of course it would have to be a woman who had paid her political dues, which means she was bound to have a long history of public life that would include both successes and failures, times she was right and times she had made mistakes. I thought the author of that editorial made a good point. Whether the first woman presidential candidate had been Hillary or someone else, she was certainly going to be as flawed as all the male presidential candidates we have ever had ... and they have all had good and bad in their background. My article was not an attempt to win anyone over to Hillary, however, because I think everyone already knows who they will vote for in the fall. My article was an attempt to recognize a major step for America's women. If she is the next president, I hope she is at least as good as the men we have had in the past 40 or so years. That is a pretty low bar, actually.
@UncleJoe (11410)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@DeborahDiane While I agree on a historical victory, and that our past puppets,... excuse me, I meant Presidents, left a lot undone, I still prefer one with enough character to not have murder committed to avoid prosecution. Have you completely forgotten about all the mysterious deaths of people involved in Whitewater? I would be more than happen to vote for someone like Marilyn Milian or even Judy Scheinling.
• Laguna Woods, California
@UncleJoe - Yes, there are other women who have a less clouded background. Mysterious deaths do bother me. I remember all the deaths of witnesses after the assassination of John F. Kennedy ... yet nothing was ever proven. The same is true with Hillary Clinton. Something went on there ... but was she behind it? Without proof, all I can do is move on. Right now, I'm pleased that a woman could be president and, I hope, whatever she did or did not do thirty years ago, she is capable of doing at least as good a job as our past male presidents have done. That isn't that high a bar for her to reach. LOL
@SHOHANA (7161)
• Bangladesh
I like Hillary Clinton as a first lady
• Laguna Woods, California
@SHOHANA - I hope she becomes the President. She has already been a very active First Lady.
@SHOHANA (7161)
• Bangladesh
@DeborahDiane yes, she should win the election though i don't know her rivals are how much deserving or not.
It is wonderful that a woman reached this point. Next, perhaps a Jewish woman will make it to the top!
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, @DianneN, it would be a wonderful achievement for women of all backgrounds to be treated equally and valued for their intelligence and ability. Wouldn't it be lovely for a wide diversity of people, including a Jewish woman, to reach the top?
It is a great step for women and something to celebrate.
• Laguna Woods, California
@paigea - I was so happy to celebrate this moment with my women friends. Honestly, it felt really good!
That's the good thing about having Hillary running for president - the glass ceiling is finally broken for all women.
• Laguna Woods, California
I agree, @just4him. I agree. She has broken a glass ceiling for all women and I hope she gets the chance to show everyone that a woman can do at least as good a job as a man ... and better than some.
Still working in their 70's? It's great if that's what they like or want to to do.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes ... one of the women in that photo is a very active, successful Realtor. Another one is a politician who has won several elections and also serves on a number of boards ... as well as managing several rental homes that she owns. Yes, some people do still work in their 70's ... like my husband!
@Shreyashi (180)
Thats a proud moment and your celebration makes us feel good that we are improving and will keep on doing so.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, most of the women I know have been very proud of Hillary's accomplishment ... something most of us thought we would never live long enough to see.
@DaddyEvil (26238)
• Aurora, Missouri
How very funny, DD! I came to see what you were interested in now, just right after my daughter and I were talking about Hillary's triumph... Of course, we also discussed who/what? our vote went to in the primary... as is probably natural. (This is the first time we didn't cancel each other's vote out! So a historic first for us, too! LOL!) I am the first to point out that we are expected to try to pick the next leader of our country from a list of people I consider very poor choices in every way that matters, but those are the choices we are given to pick from, so must make the best choice we can... At least Hillary will not be a total unknown when it comes to running the country again, even if she did have to do it from the back seat last time around. Hopefully, she won't run into anything she can't handle with the aplomb she showed during her husband's scandal. (Yes, I am being a bit premature here, but I really hope the ineffectual windbag is not elected this fall!) SMH!
• Laguna Woods, California
@DaddyEvil - I agree with you and Pretty. The candidates we have to choose from are never perfect people. They are always flawed. But I read this interesting editorial about Hillary. It asked what kind of person we expected the first woman president to be ... the head of the local PTA? Of course it would have to be a woman who had paid her political dues, which means she was bound to have a long history of public life that would include both successes and failures, times she was right and times she had made mistakes. I thought the author made a good point. While people are never perfect, I think she is definitely the best choice we have this year!
@bunnybon7 (37920)
• Holiday, Florida
yes and I think she is a tough lady. the problem is people hold more things against a woman that they will not even believe about a man