"Brooklyn," one of the best movies of 2015 (tells an Irish story)

Eugene, Oregon
In the 1950s, the Irish economy was at a standstill and 50,000 people immigrated to the United States. About 25% of them laded in New York. That is according to a Time Magazine article I read when I was checking movie authenticity. Many of these people were women. The movie "Brooklyn," did not win the Best Picture Oscar. It was beat out by the more contemporary story shown in "Spotlight." But "Brooklyn" tells a compelling story of that Irish immigration through the life of a young woman, Eilis, played by the beautiful and very talented Saoirse Ronan. She typifies these young women, coming to America, assisted by the Catholic church with jobs, education and places to live, mostly in Brooklyn. She works in a big department store, lives in a boarding house with other Irish girls and meets a nice Italian boy at a parish dance. Homesickness almost overcomes Eilis, and her beloved sister in Ireland dies. But, no more details. If you have not seen this movie, I recommend it with a four star rating. If you saw "Brooklyn", what did you think? Image is Pixabay Public domain of a Brooklyn street
I do want to see Brroklyn. Remember a very young Saoirse Ronan from Atonement?
• Eugene, Oregon
@JohnRoberts, That is one I just added to my list. I missed it somehow.
@JamesHxstatic Atonement is a period piece. Stars Keira Knightley.
• Eugene, Oregon
@JohnRoberts She is another huge favorite of mine.
Thank you for the recommendation since this is one I would enjoy seeing.
• Eugene, Oregon
It was really enjoyable.
@JamesHxstatic Have you read "Angela's Ashes" or "Tiz" by Frank McCourt? Fabulous memoirs about growing up poor in Ireland in the early 1900s. So good.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Corbin5 I did read "Angela's Ashes," and it was great.
This is on my "To See" list... I hope I get around to seeing it before I forget to see it. I believe it was a book as well.
• Eugene, Oregon
I think so too. "Spotlight" beat it for the Oscar only because of the drama and importance of the story.
@JamesHxstatic I don't even remember what Spotlight is... I'm off to IMDB to read about it.
@inertia4 (27713)
I saw the coming attractions of this movie a few times. It does look good. And being from Brooklyn myself, I think this would be a good movie to watch. I can rent it on iTunes. Thanks for this review.
• Eugene, Oregon
You are welcome. I saw it on iTunes as well. That young actress is wonderful. I added another one or two she is in to my list.
@inertia4 (27713)
@JamesHxstatic I will check it out. Maybe tonight if I can't find anything to watch.
This sounds my sort of film. Vince's two grandmothers came out to Australia on the same sailing ship, two of a group of girls under the charge of a matron/chaperone. One was a seamstress and one a monitor (sort of teacher). Later the son of one would marry the daughter of the other. It would have been such a life-changing experience for these young girls.
• Eugene, Oregon
I can imagine how big the challenge was.
@PatZAnthony (12871)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We look forward to seeing this. It does sound like it will be a good movie.
• Eugene, Oregon
Good, I hope you like it.
I thought about seeing it, especially since a couple of years ago I discovered that I am 37% Irish. But it took place far after my ancestors came here (mid 16th century), so I figured it really had nothing to do with my family history. Looks like I missed a good movie though.
• Eugene, Oregon
I suspect that you would enjoy it a lot.
I haven't seen this movie yet.
I've never seen it. I'll have to try to check it out.
I saw this.I like the story.But found that the movie was very slow.I think hair was growing back(kidding)
• Eugene, Oregon
I thought the pacing was just about right actually. I like lingering shots on faces and vistas.