The Grandma Chair In Its Home

Grandma in the grandma chair
Marion, Kansas
We were able to take my daughter her chair. My son in law, who is over six feet tall and very large sat in it first. He commented on how very firm it was. Someone had requested a picture of me in the chair, so that is my photo here. When you have a solid piece of furniture it is a good idea to keep it up, and maybe reupholster it. The colors were perfect with their other furniture. Two of the younger kids can sit in it at once. It is really not much bigger than the glider rocker that is for the kids. I have more things to be reupholstered, do you ever do that?
I think here it would mostly be cheaper to buy new stuff. But if I had something I really loved I'd have it re-upholstered.
• Marion, Kansas
I got the fabric at a discount, and then the man who does the work is very reasonable.
@GardenGerty It's great to find a tradesman whose rates are reasonable. I don't mind paying a fair price but hate being ripped off.
@MsTickle (24966)
I would be thinking the same way as you Judy.
Nice photo and it's super seeing you! I haven't needed to reupholster any furniture. Enjoy!
• Marion, Kansas
I love really old furniture, so it often needs redone. It is often better made than most of the furnishings we get today.
@GardenGerty Yes, some, unless you buy good furniture
I see you have your photo problem sorted out. Lovely picture. I've never tried to do any re-upholstering myself, that's pretty clever of you to have done it.
• Marion, Kansas
Oh, I have done some, but not this one. It has lots of piping and tufting detail. I have done some plain and simple ones.
I would if I needed and it was not costly.
• Marion, Kansas
I feel like it is less expensive than getting brand new. Especially if the piece is well made.
You look very comfortable in the chair. Good picture.
• Marion, Kansas
Thanks! It is a comfy little chair. I think my daughter is actually going to put it in the spare bedroom.
Great photo you shared with us!! It does look like a sturdy piece of furniture that can be handed down to future generations. I have never had anything reupholstered, but my mother often did.
• Marion, Kansas
I think good quality furniture is a good investment to reupholster.
That looks like it is a very comfy chair. We had one similar to that when I was little, but it was a darkish brown and tan color. It sounds as if your daughter and family will get a lot of use out of that chair. So is that a picture in it's reupholstered state?
@GardenGerty was it costly to have done?
@ElicBxn (60050)
No... I covered the seat of a footstool once, but that is about the limit of my upholstering.
• Marion, Kansas
I can and have done some very simple things, but really nice things I take to my friend Lefty. I have some foot stools to redo. Bought a really raggedy quilt top that will work great to cover a couple of the footstools to make them match.
• Rochester, New York
I do not, but my cousin has had a lot of furniture upholstered before she moved into my grandmothers house.
• Marion, Kansas
It is a good skill to have. Was it your grandmother's furniture she had redone?
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Keeping things of quality (including people) is always a good idea! Love to redo and reupholster things when we can. Older things are so much sturdier than newer things and usually made in the USA!
• Marion, Kansas
Oh, Pat, I like your response. It was a very sturdy little chair. My friend Lefty made it beautiful again, too.
Nope, I have never reupholstered anything, but it looks nice. I am glad you were able to get it to your daughter.
• Marion, Kansas
I was glad, too as we have been trying to get it picked up for over two years. The man who does the upholstery is very busy.
It looks like a nice chair, you look comfy sitting there. We've never had anything upholstered, our dining room chairs could use it, but I think that I'll pass it on to our son within the next couple of years and let him worry about getting that done.
• Marion, Kansas
If it is just seats, it is a snap. Of course your son could do it to fit his decor
@marsha32 (6780)
I've never reupholstered anything. I think the cost is why as I know many who find great deals at sales then recover.
• Marion, Kansas
I have done some small chairs and I am going to re cover footstools soon. I had a set of chairs done for Vince and this one for Sam. I am more into refinishing of old things.
I have in the past.
@Shiva49 (9202)
I have chairs that are quite old but I had to throw/give away some over time. Indeed it is a comfortable chair and well worth preserving - siva
@Lucky15 (33713)
Lovely chair
@solitary (263)
I like old furniture with good and solid quality, that can make me feel safe and comfortable
I like the covering, it's pretty
I have never done it. My parents had it done, they had such solid furniture.