Why the nearsighted eyesight becomes so common today?

nearsighted
Guangzhou, China
I am sad to learn that my son is nearsighted and I shall bring him to see a doctor soon. Of course today we can't totally get rid of the computer, TV and cellphone. But actually my son doesn't spend a long time on it already. Is it because he likes reading books? Or is it because he has more homework? Or is it because today the children has a high study pressure and hardly go out for outdoor activities? Why it is so common today? Hopefully the scientists will find out a solution to fix this problem...
@hoong143 (1417)
I found that the kids staying in the village are seldom wearing glasses. Why? Maybe they have more out door activities.
This is what I think. The children in the city need more outdoor activities.
@hoong143 (1417)
@youless I agree with you.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
In my opinion technology does play a part. There was no television in South Africa until the mid-1970s, and no sooner did we get our first set than my eyesight deteriorated and I started wearing glasses.
Then what's wrong with it?
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@youless I'm not sure what you mean. I think radiation from screens is bad for the eyes.We just have to accept that a lot of people will need to wear glasses.
He sounds like a very bright boy there.Maybe he does not need all the electronic devise .I have not met anyone who are near sighted.. It could be a lot of things there.Hope you sort this out
In fact my son just has a normal cellphone rather than smartphone.
My sister and brother had to wear glasses at such early ages. No computers, cellphones, or a lot of TV watching or reading for them back in the 1950s when they were kids, so I think genetics plays a part. I was the lucky one and still have no need for glasses.
If so, perhaps there will be more near-sighted persons in the future because this figure will just increase and will not drop down. My husband has super good eyesight although I am nearsighted.