Should Non-Americans be Concern with the Results of the US Presidential Election?

creative commons
@josie_ (7348)
On two occasion, one on a FB discussion forum and another here in myLot I was rebuke that it was none of my business since I was not an American when I tried to express my views and contribute to the discussion about US politics. Here is one of the "Butt out" comments I got: "I don't mean to be rude, but nothing you say has any bearing on this subject unless you are a US TAXPAYER. Nor do I usually discuss anything with folks who have not the ability to understand." It may surprise the average "Joe the plumber" American that people outside the US follow the news and events of their country. One could say that when the US sneeze, the rest of the world caught a cold. After the US abandon the monetary gold standard and replace it with the fiat dollar (which it has an endless supply of), how it's economy performs also affect the financial situation of other countries. Another major concern is it's foreign policy since it has assume the mantle of "world policeman" in "fostering" democracy and maintaining peace and security for both the US and the rest of the world.(written tongue in cheek) For Filipinos with relatives in the US, it's not only about "Balikbayan" packages filled with Walmart goodies (90% made in China) that we are concern about. So who do you like to see win the election? Trump or Clinton? Photo image: Wikimedia Commons
Well, I don't have much concern to it since it's BEYOND our control. Politics in our own country is here hard enough to gget along with each other, in fact were too divided during election. How much more in that country! Besides, this makes you realize that US isn't a perfect nation or the paradise we all filipinos once knew. In some ways, they got ignorant people like same as us. We just pray that the US won't be in deeper trouble than already is.
@josie_ (7348)
@Letranknight2015 _The Philippines practices a hybrid form of democratic electoral process. It's called the "Balimbing method". Notice how members of losing political parties change party affiliation by becoming new members of the political party of the elected president? Former senator Eulogio "Amang" Rodriguez (not your generation) put it succinctly when he said that "politics is addition".
@josie_ I think we still have a lot to learn. I don't believe this is our permanent kind of political society, I mean this really makes us believe we got no strong principles in the political party, just a strong connection on whos the winner in the election.
@josie_ (7348)
@Letranknight2015 _ Many are placing their hope for real lasting change on our newly elected Pres. Duterte. But one can't change overnight the system of political patronage which is deeply ingrain in our society.
@puddleglum (1418)
I think that was a rude response to your interest in the election. You're right, it does have far reaching consequences. I try to avoid engaging in political discussion online, in general, but I wouldn't discourage others from sharing their opinions.
@josie_ (7348)
@puddleglum _Thank you. Perhaps if there were more open minded people who would prefer to discuss issues both local as well as world events then there would be no need for bullets in settling global conflicts.
@zap_81 (1024)
As they say each to its own .
well, that right there ought'a tell ya somethin' 'bout that person - they're narrow minded 'n jest plain ignorant.. 'f course't matters to the rest'f the world who's elected president here'n the u.s. like't 'r not, we're kinda'n the 'spotlight', so to speak. what occurs here's a trickle effect. 's fer who i'm gonna vote fer?? i wish mr. nelson mandela 'r the pope t'was available...
@josie_ (7348)
@crazyhorseladycx _ Your choice of candidates made me smile.These two unfortunately are unavailable. Your comment also speak in volumes what you think of today's present crop of politicians.
@josie_ i know :( be nice though if'n one who 'twas a mixture'f those 2 fine fella's 'n a couple more 'd be runnin'. 'nstead, well, ya know. gonna be a choice'f the least'f the evils 'n don't matter anyhow coz the delegates votes count more so'n the rest'f us. what a warped system... seems such's that way purty much globally these days?? those that'd truly be good fer the position can't make 't coz they aint willin' to sacrifice their beliefs 'n be bought :(
@josie_ (7348)
@crazyhorseladycx _It's a sad commentary on US politics since I've been reading many comments of voters who are left with "voting for the least evil".
Hillary in my opinion would be the better choice for president. No comment about that person that showed his ignorance as I have read everyone else's reply to your post and they already wrote my exact sentiments.
@josie_ (7348)
@allen0187 _She would be the preferred choice in most democratic countries because she has more experience in foreign affairs having once been US secretary of State. Although her tenure in State didn't produce any outstanding results or diplomatic breakthrough.
@josie_ agree with you there.
@dfollin (12744)
She is not great but the lesser of the two evils!
I've never seen a more rude comment than the one given you. It's a shame people act that way. I've found in this election that people from all over the world were concerned with who won and are still concerned now that we know Trump won.
@josie_ (7348)
@just4him _ From your comment I gather you are a Clinton fan. It was a close race between two elitist.
@josie_ Absolutely NOT. I didn't vote for either of them. I voted third party as I didn't and don't think either of them are fit for office, but I am heartily glad she did not make it into the White House.
@anniepa (27238)
@just4him You basically voted for Trump without actually casting your ballot for him.
What an idiotic remark. I'm German. Germans are very concerned about the outcome of the presidential election in the USA. There is still some time left. We can go on hoping that Trump will put his foot in more problematic issues. I've just read in the newspaper that his Republican supporters are hard put supporting him further.
@josie_ (7348)
@MALUSE _The world is a global community where an action in one part of the world will have repercussion for many other countries. It's neither practical nor realistic to have such a myopic view with regards to world events. As for Trump's tendency of "shooting from the hips" on controversial issues, it was effective at the start of the campaign but people are starting to question if it's all bluster and swagger but the guy really has no idea what's going on.
Isn't it funny that when someone starts a sentence with "I don't mean to be rude" they nearly always are. That was VERY rude.
@josie_ (7348)
@jaboUK _ Well, at least he was "honest"...about his character.
Of course, I'm concerned (and prayerful) for America's coming back to its former greatness and glory! The Trump choice of the American voice and wise choice is crucial. The latest US polls is reflective of that result. I only read and watch Fox News. They're quite a good mix of investigative reporting. That oppressive commenter smells like the typical liberal far-left regressive free-stuff recipient brat from the Democrats. They try to create their safe-space fantasy world, out-of touch with reality, just like their darlings, Obama-Clinton pair..
@josie_ (7348)
@everwonderwhy _ Most polls have Clinton ahead by 9-12 pt. Although some have both tied. With a sizable number of undecided (20%+) and the election a long way off, it's still anyone's game. With vested interest, today's media is no longer unbiased. For liberals, they have ABC,NBC while the Conservatives like you tend to watch Fox. Occasionally I do watch Bill O' Riley just to balance the liberal slanted opinions I get from the other news media. Mostly I watch CNN which has a more balance political perspective. But for world news I prefer BBC
@anniepa (27238)
@josie_ Fox News isn't really "news", it's kind of the original FAKE news.
@anniepa Great is a country where people can say whatever they want. Great is a country whose people are free to believe them or not. Together, they work hard to make their country great again. About Fox News, millions of subscribers are now sticking by them. Kudos USA! :-)
@louievill (18668)
Who ever said that is an ignoramus when it comes to world politics and i am saying that straight at his face right now. Nobody has to be a U S. tax payer to be interested in American politics or economics. The last down turn caused by U.S. banks and irresponsible investment companies sent so much ripples that it affected even somebody as small as me. I have no need to waste my time explaining and arguing to that ignoramus why i would be interested in his country's politics if he is indeed an American which seems he is not.
@josie_ (7348)
@louievill _ I don't think he represents the general American view and attitude with regards to interacting with people from other parts of the world. Globalization is a reality. Trumps constant harangue against foreigners rises the fear of isolationism in the US, Hilary's view of continued US expansionism through economic and military intervention leaves many wondering if this is a prelude to a world war or at the very least an inevitable confrontation with China in the Pacific.
@louievill (18668)
@josie_ In my personal opinion Hillary would best serve the interest of our country, if America is interested in her interests then why should i not be intetested in our own interest? Not just interest of the Philippines but the interest of the Asian -Pacific region as a whole, this is what globalization has brought upon us whether we like it or not.
@josie_ (7348)
@louievill _ Let's just hope we don't have to fight their proxy wars while they stand on the sidelines like what is happening in several parts of the world where they are applying the L.I.C. (low intensity conflict) method. They provide the arms and we sacrifice our youth.
I will not reveal for whom I will vote. I do know for whom I will vote, however. Those who depend upon America seem to be the first to condemn it. I do not like that fact.
@josie_ (7348)
@Corbin5 _I am a bit confuse with your comment about what it is that is being condemn. Is it the country (U.S) or the electoral process of how you choose a president?
@josie_ It is the countries that depend upon America that are the countries that criticize all that happens here. I no longer want America to be the standard bearer nor the 'world's policeman," since other countries do not repay in kind. Other countries repay with criticism far too often.
@josie_ (7348)
@Corbin5 _Many Americans feel the same way you do. Young American soldiers gave up their lives in far away lands because of political decisions made by elected officials. They believe that the billions of dollars spend abroad for military purpose could have been better spend to improve their lives and alleviate the financial difficulties at home.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am sorry that you were rebuked by some "deplorable" American. You are affected by the decisions, right or wrong, made by our government. I am greatly disappointed by the election results and hope that the nation can survive four years of this obnoxious man.
@josie_ (7348)
@JamesHxstatic _ Churchill said that "democracy is the worst form of government" but your country has manage to weather other "bad" presidency. Many complain about the Obama administration. Now that you have Trump, will this be something like "Jumping from the frying pan into the fire"?
• Eugene, Oregon
fw@josie_ I fear that to be the case. He is a buffoon and ill informed to hold the office.
@anniepa (27238)
@JamesHxstatic Our fears were well founded, James, he's worse than a buffoon and gets worse still by the minute. We won't survive 4 years with him and neither will the world.
@sol_cee (15506)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Ignoramous, ridiculous response from someone who's got no other intention but to intimidate you.
@josie_ (7348)
@sol_cee _Intimidation implies that I'm the weaker person. I prefer to believe it's an anger management issue...HIS!
@sol_cee (15506)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@josie_ and how did you deal with him?
@josie_ (7348)
@sol_cee _ This post serves as my rebuttal to his "butt off" comment. And I get to make a few cents on the side.
@stbrians (15183)
• Kakamega, Kenya
We are just one big family and what happens in America affects me. When people were deported Kenyans were there. When an aeroplane crashed in the far off forest, Kenyans were there. When a business centre was bombed in Kenya, the world was there.
@josie_ (7348)
There have been many bombing incidents in Kenya in the past years. Terrorism was blamed.
@Genipher (5136)
Oh, poo! How many Americans gave their "input" when the UK made it's "Brexit"? We make all sorts of comments about other countries, why shouldn't people from other countries be allowed to make comments about us? So stupid. Oh, and I'm not voting. In my opinion, neither are worthy candidates. The next 4 years are going to be hell, no matter who wins.
@josie_ (7348)
@Genipher _ I got a chuckle from the photo. I reminded me of the Phrases "caught between a rock and a hard place" and "Damn if you do, damn if you don't".Are you part of the 20% undecided voters? I hope you're prediction about the next 4 years doesn't happen. It's ripple effect will reach other parts of the world.
@Genipher (5136)
@josie_ Oh, no. I've decided. I'm not voting. At all. I can't help but think that, no matter who wins, they'll cause the beginning of The End. sigh.
@crossbones27 (19592)
• Redlands, California
I think you make a damn good point. A much better point than the dodo brain who made that comment. They were probably mad because your point went against who they are going to be voting for.
@josie_ (7348)
@crossbones27 _ I maintain my impartiality with regards to their preference as to whom to vote for. I only express my opinion that the American voting public does not have much of a choice since you only have two major political parties to choose from with both candidates coming from the elite of society.
• Redlands, California
@josie_ So true and the people are not even trying to change that either.
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
The whole world is concerned, the US is important to world peace...I think everyone has a right to their opinion and I'm surprised people could even ask why you are interested. That's not a good attitude.
@anniepa (27238)
I'd be more worried if non-Americans were NOT concerned with our results here. I think that anyone who comes to a site like myLot and is interested in a topic and wants to have a civil, respectful and intelligent discussion about it should do so. I never realized until this campaign how isolated many here in the US actually are, how so many live in some kind of bubble where they think they can say and do whatever they wish with no consequences no matter how cruel and hateful they may be. I voted for Hillary Clinton and I'm still devastated and terrified about how it turned out. I'm in the majority, a larger majority than many winning candidates have had actually, and yet we're stuck with a person who is incompetent and totally unfit to be the "Leader of the Free World". We won't have a free COUNTRY for long if he's in office for an entire term. I understand that people from all around the world are upset and in some cases likely even more frightened than I am.
@josie_ (7348)
@anniepa _We have a term "Gulpe de gulat" whose literary translation is to be "beaten with shock". Like Hitler's "blitzkrieg" or Desert storm's "shock and awe" Those who didn't vote for Trump are still reeling from the after effects of the last election's result. Will resignation and apathy set in?
@anniepa (27238)
@josie_ I sure hope resignation and apathy don't set in but voter apathy is a HUGE problem in this country. I know I intend to do my tiny little part, for what it's worth, to keep people engaged and hopefully to get them to get their a$$es out to vote in the 2018 midterm elections. A great deal of damage will already be done by then I fear but hopefully we can try to stop more destruction of our way of life from happening.
@josie_ (7348)
@anniepa _The prediction is that midterm elections will go to the Democrats. Republicans will probably start distancing themselves from Trump as election nears.
@Bluedoll (17069)
Congrats on a really good post! It has so much information that I don't think I can comment without filling up the comment section. We could go on to talk about rebukes from others about what we write. That alone could take up an entire page. Politics. Well that's another. Yet another page on the current election from the point of view of media attention is simply outstanding. And that means it is so loud it can be heard all around the globe.
@josie_ (7348)
@Bluedoll _Thank you. I try to focus on one topic but occasionally a particular comment opens up another point of discussion that may run parallel or has some relation to the original topic. As long as emotions are kept in check, it makes for a livelier exchange of opinions and ideas.
@Bluedoll (17069)
@josie_ You covered a lot of areas so the post should make for lots of discussion. Its a compliment well done! Involvement in other countries political process I would say is a no no. But having opinions, concerns and interest is not butting in. I think voters want to entice others to vote for a specific person and don't want opposition. Social media is becoming a force but certainly it can not be considered interference? The ones that are rebuking I think are out of line. An interesting side note. Recently on A.G.T. a talent show, I watched a cute young comedian (around 12 years old) do her jokes on politics but someone mentioned that her votes for popularity might be affected? They weren't. Just because someone comments on politics shouldn't make them an enemy of the state!
@josie_ (7348)
@Bluedoll _ Is disseminating information or expressing a counter opinion considered foreign intervention in the affairs of another country simply because you're not a citizen of that country? In war time that would be considered propaganda or provocation and inciting rebellion. Even today countries ruled in any form of dictatorship practice censorship to suppress any dissent that might undermine their authoritarian rule. But this is the United States, land of the first amendment not a banana republic. A place where talk show hosts poke fun at their leaders and are paid for it.
The state of the US as regards economy, government and just about everything else affects the rest of the world in quite significant ways. You are certainly entitled to your opinions.
@josie_ (7348)
@JudyEv _ Like it or not, the world has become so interconnected that what happens in one place sends repercussions to other parts of the world.
@josie_ And the highly developed countries have more impact than lesser ones.
Sorry that you were subjected to rudeness.
@josie_ (7348)
@Tampa_girl7 _It was more the exception. You meet the nicest people in myLot.
@josie_ yes, Mylot has lovely people.