Safety in Rio

@nanette64 (17192)
Fairfield, Texas
With almost 1/2 a million foreigners (besides athletes) heading for Rio on the 5th for the Olympic Games, there are several concerns for people's safety. We're not just talking about possible terrorist attacks either. The sand and water have been undergoing testing since last year and the bacteria and virus levels are high and that doesn't even count the Zika Virus which is prevalent in the area. Even with the unhappy police department (no raises), there is to be roughly 88,000 armed police and federal agents and 9 helicopters as well as water police on duty for the 16-day event. I think I'll just watch it on the TV.
With half a million visitors and thousands of athletes to protect, Brazil is taking no chances. NBC's Miguel Almaguer tours Rio de Janeiro's security operations in the air, sea and on the ground.
You couldn't get me within 100 km of a place like that. In fact, if I lived there, I'd go somewhere else until it was over. I have enough problems dealing with the crowds at the concerts I go to, and they're normally less than 15,000.
If I were living there, I would get out of town too, in a jiffy.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
Exactly @JolietJake . I have a bad feeling about this whole thing. Imagine all the pregnant broads that will be coming back with the Zika. It's bad enough some of the dumb-dumbs went to countries and brought it back here. And you 'know' there's gonna be a terrorist situation regardless of how many cops are around.
@nanette64 I wouldn't take a chance of going there.
right now I have no interest there.Not worth it.Give it to the young people
@WorDazza (9889)
• Manchester, England
There just seems way too much waiting to go horribly wrong there!!
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
Can you picture that many people running for their lives if something went wrong @WorDazza ?
@WorDazza (9889)
• Manchester, England
@nanette64 Indeed! And I'm not too sure just how safe the Olympic village is! I know someone who lived in Rio for about 10 years. He was somewhat concerned when Rio was given the games!
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
@WorDazza One thing's for sure, if the nut-cases are there, it will be the opening ceremonies that will provide for the worst damage.
the hubs was askin' me jest last eve how'n the heck they were able to e'en be given the opportunity to host the olympics. jest boggles the mind...but then look 't what all china did to clean the air 'n make schtuff 'suitable' when they held 'em there.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
Well, they've only got 2 days to figure things out @crazyhorseladycx .
@nanette64 i'd not go if'n they paid me to :(
It is sad that danger lurks in Rio. Yep, watching the Olympics on TV is the way to go. Hope all who attend remain safe and healthy.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
At least if you have to pee you don't have to stand in line; let alone fine one @Corbin5 .
It is the last place I would go and if I had a kid I would talk the out of going. The thought of some of the stuff going on there is scary.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
At least on TV you can see replays and if you need to go to the bathroom, it's just down the hall @AbbyGreenhill .
@nanette64 Yes, and with Direct TV I can paul live TV LOL!
I wouldn't want to be going there.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
And I wonder how many people will bring home the Zika Virus @jaboUK .
@nanette64 Doesn't bear thinking about.
Reading about so many people in one place gives me the creeps.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
Me too @MALUSE , I would feel suffocated.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes I am not feeling very confident about them being able to handle that many people and the pollution is certainly worrisome.