The History Of The Handshake

https://pixabay.com/en/hand-greeting-agreement-819279/
@HazySue (22517)
Did you know that the handshake started, not as a greeting, hi, how are you doing, but as a way to help protect yourself? I didn't. I always equated a handshake with a friendly greeting. As I was running around the internet, I can across this little known fact. At least, I think it's a little known fact. Handshakes were originally meant to make sure that the person you were meeting wasn’t carrying a concealed weapon. The hand clasp proved that your hand was empty and shaking was meant to dislodge any weapons hiding up the sleeve. How do you like that? Did you know this about the handshake? But wait, I also heard that it is the universal sign of peace. Rest assured it is the universal sign of peace, now. Back in the day of old when life was taken so easily and you didn't know who your enemies were it was a more an act of protection than a friendly greeting. As man evolved so did the meaning of the handshake.
It makes sense. I don't like shaking hands. Unfortunately, I live in a country (Germany) where people like doing it. The Italians are worse, though.
@HazySue (22517)
@MALUSE is it a germ issue? At least they aren't trying to kiss you. I am leery of shaking hands at times. I feel like I feel like I need to carry hand sanitizer.
@HazySue I'm not so much afraid of germs but I don't like touching moist hands. Argh. Kissing is becoming more and more popular in Germany. I can avoid it here but not in Italy where nearly everyone kisses everyone. As I'm taller than the locals in Sardinia (where my husband comes from), they have a lot of jumping to do if they want to kiss me. :-)
@HazySue (22517)
@MALUSE ha, ha, ha I am the same way. If I do not personally know you I would rather not be touched.
@swalia (1402)
That's an interesting fact...I didnt know that.
@HazySue (22517)
@swalia you learn something new everyday.
I always thought a handshake was introducing oneself to the other person. That is an interesting tidbit you shared with us. Thanks.
@HazySue (22517)
You learn something new everyday. Glad to share.
@HazySue Susan, yes one can.
@sol_cee (16879)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
People here don't do handshakes.
@HazySue (22517)
@sol_cee that's interesting, I didn't know that.
@sol_cee (16879)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@HazySue Instead we bow.
@rina110383 (24072)
I only do it when meeting clients.
@HazySue (22517)
@rina110383 I have noticed that a handshake seems to be a sign of respect with teens.
@1creekgirl (11349)
I knew about the making sure of no weapon, but shaking the sleeve is funny!
@HazySue (22517)
@1creekgirl I thought the sleeve shaking was a little comical.
I never knew this before. A handshake to ensure not being shot worked out for many, I suppose.
@HazySue (22517)
@Corbin5 shot, stabbed, or whatever, I guess.
• New Delhi, India
Handshake started during world War 1 or world War 2?
@HazySue (22517)
@ModernDayWriter it started back mush further than that. Possibly during the age of the Knights in Shining Armor.
@CinnamonGrl (6066)
• Paradise, California
No I never heard that before! It's also a great way to spread germs, lol.
@HazySue (22517)
@CinnamonGrl it may spread germs but they are using it as a sign of respect and greeting.